• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Ballast resistor to prevent hyperflashing

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I’ve shifted over to led positive ground turn signal lights using the original style Lucas flasher. I installed two 5-ohm 50W resistors to ground, one on each side, tapping in at the bullet connectors each side. I’m still getting hyperflashing and no clicking sound at the flasher. The resistors do get warm to the touch, so they are carrying current.
I pulled the flasher out and checked it with an incandescent 40W bulb, tested sat.
I’d have thought 5-ohms would have worked, but evidently not. A 3 or 4-ohm resistor may be needed to induce enough current to trigger the flasher. Anyone have any experience? Jim

TS 44743L “O”

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I had a hard time finding flashers that would work correctly with the stock lamps (and my original failed), so I haven't tried a resistor with the stock flasher.

But, spec is 21 watts per bulb, which if I've done my math right, works out to 3.5 ohms. Assuming a 50% duty cycle, that's an average of 20 watts at the resistor, so a 5 watt is going to get VERY hot.

OP
Jim_Stevens

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I had a hard time finding flashers that would work correctly with the stock lamps (and my original failed), so I haven't tried a resistor with the stock flasher.

But, spec is 21 watts per bulb, which if I've done my math right, works out to 3.5 ohms. Assuming a 50% duty cycle, that's an average of 20 watts at the resistor, so a 5 watt is going to get VERY hot.

Totally agree— using 50W! And will order 3.3ohm, 50W resistors straightaway. Jim

OP
Jim_Stevens

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Totally agree— using 50W! And will order 3.3ohm, 50W resistors straightaway. Jim
And just for future queries, I ran it with both 5-ohm resistors in parallel (2.5 ohm total) and he blinkers worked fine, so I’m assuming the 3.3ohm ones I just ordered will work out too.
Somewhat surprised that the 5ohm ones didn’t work, but live and learn once again in this humbling hobby!
image.jpg

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I'm using a pair of 6 ohm 50 watt resistors with LEDs only in the rear lamps. Seems to work fine though sometimes the dash indicator flashes rather weakly.

OP
Jim_Stevens

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I'm using a pair of 6 ohm 50 watt resistors with LEDs only in the rear lamps. Seems to work fine though sometimes the dash indicator flashes rather weakly.

No idea why your 6ohm resistors work whilst my 5ohms didn’t. That said, the new 3.3ohm ones came and I installed, and the flashers work fine again. on the dash, I’m using an LED bulb there too. Plenty bright!