Thread: Someday we'll do it again!

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Someday we'll do it again!

Signs of the times b4 these stay at home social distancing sign of the times. Be Safe. Enjoy!

Videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=julius+abellera

Pics:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/picsbyjulius/albums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Re: Someday we'll do it again!

Wow, you get out much?

Thanks for sharing!

I occasionally post the link to my gallery, but generally to benefit insomniacs... http://spcarsplus.com/piwigo/
    http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/image.php
    57 Healey BN6L-942 Wine Red/Honey Tan
    99 BMW M Coupe EB w/ ES/TS & 99 M Rdstr BK/BK
    01 BMW M Rdstr Steel Gray Performance Center (factory) Delivery
    16 X5M/DINAN Stg II Mineral White Metallic Wife's 716 hp/702 Lb-ft Turbo Hauler

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

My pleasure glad you took some time to enjoy. 4/9/20 marks 41 yrs being owned by my 1st Only & Last British Iron 86K+ miles when purchased in '79 currently 378,888 perfect fit I Love Driving & Lucas Prince of Darkness hooked me up with one that Loves to be Driven been to 11 States West of Miss. + Canada. Great being part of the select group fortunate enough to own one the Sports Car Club Lifestyle Places other Enthusiast alone the journey has allowed me to experience something simply phenomenal as you can see by some of the vids/pics

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Must've been something about A) that time of year, and B) that era; I bought my Austin-Healey 100/6 2-seater on April 1st, 1978!

By by 1978 though, I'd already owned four (4) MGBs ranging from a new '73, to a couple of '67s and a '66 MGB. After getting the Healey, another dozen (12) more MGBs / MGB GTs, an MGC GT, a 2nd 100/6 2-seater plus three (3) MG Midgets followed by the year 2000.

I sold ALL the MGs and the 2nd 100/6 (which had been parted out) and associated loose parts__except for 3 "good/running ones" that I saved for my ex-wife...__between August & September 2000 to a fellow just east of Baton Rouge, then I moved north in October.

By the end of 2000 (11/11/00 to be precise) I began a steady migration over to the Dark Side__no, not Triumphs, but__BMWs! I kept the Healey (42 yrs now!) and started adding M Rdstrs (a CPO 1999 1st, then a brand new one in August 2001), and eventually rounded it out with an M Coupe (a 1999 version in bought in February 2006). My wife of the last 18 yrs is infatuated with BMW X5s (currently on her 4th since 2002, this one being a CPO 2016 M version with >700 hp) only deviating once to spend two (2) years with an '08 535xi sedan, a deceptively fast 4--door__amazingly, I never received a speeding ticket in that car__if you didn't constantly monitor the speedometer on the highway, you'd think you were only doing 50-60 mph as your speed crept up past 90!

It is however, looking very likely that there's at least one (<1) more British sportscar out there with my name on it. I had a guy offer me "a '67 MGB" about a year ago, (January 2019) at a vintage go kart event. While it piqued my interest, I didn't do anything but let the idea collect dust in the back of my mind. A couple months ago during further conversation, I found out that it was an early (pre-back-up lamps) MGB GT with overdrive, so that got me a little more excited! It was rumored a year ago to have its full service history too, but in a conversation last night with the guy where the car is currently located (Massachusetts) he told me he hasn't been able to find the file He knows that he got it from the guy I've been talking to, but unceremoniously lost it somewhere in his house (I'm picturing a scene out of the tv show Hoarders...).

I know the car needs rust repair, but until I either see it myself, or get some additional pictures from a 3rd-party gearhead I know that's also in the area, no idea how bad it'll be...

So that's a long, convoluted and roundabout way to caution you about thinking that TR6 is your last British car...

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Randy,
    Two questions: Where are you going to put it? Does Sue know?
    Lin
    1959 AN5 Bugeye - now with my son 😀
    1960 BT7 3000 MKI
    1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Haha!

As soon as I told her about it, she's like, "you're going to get it, right?"

She knew that I wanted to do another "floors & rockers (sills, etc.) job" being infinitely better set up and equipped than I was doing any of the previous ones. And she also wants me to quit working on customer's cars and just sell the reinforcement kits.

She also doesn't want me aimlessly wandering the streets, so the MGB GT is actually a problem solver (famous last words...)!

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    Randy,
    Two questions: Where are you going to put it? Does Sue know?
    Lin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

"So that's a long, convoluted and roundabout way to caution you about thinking that TR6 is your last British car..."

Was actually in search of a MGB GT back in the day when British Iron dealerships existed when I decided to get my 1st British Sports car in 1979 as 30th birthday present to myself over the years many have suggested I get another my response I wouldn't do that to myself again but don't get me wrong it's an ongoing love affair (me & my TR6) feels the same as 4/9/79 only difference the irreplaceable miles places people memories I've enjoyed none can replace what it's allowed me to experience so TRust me fact remains 1st Only & Last British Iron & for that matter as long as the other reliable modern day plastic/tech mobiles hold up same goes for them as far as last I'm owning mind & body keeps reminding me of line in many movies I'm gettin' too ole for this x?*! Stay Safe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Hi Randy,
    Too bad you made a left when you moved South. I've got the perfect engine for that GT sitting under my workbench. A Buick 215.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GregW View Post
    Hi Randy,
    Too bad you made a left when you moved South. I've got the perfect engine for that GT sitting under my workbench. A Buick 215.
    At one point, I think I had 5 or 6 215s, both Buick and Oldsmobile (IIRC, the Olds block had an additional head bolt. I also had a '64 300" crank and cyl heads (builds out to a 302" and the heads have larger ports). Even made an adapter to fit between the GM bellhousing & a TR7 5-sp.

Seems like a lifetime ago, but it's only been a little over two (2) decades