• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I'm not posting any more...

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I've decided I'm not posting any more COVID-19 "news." So much swirling on the net - some accurate, some not and I don't have the time. Hope you understand. Gather your news where you will and "trust but verify" your sources. My apologies for contributing to the swirl.

Stay safe.
That is all.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I like that idea. We have been turning off any news related updates on the issue since we are on overload hearing about it.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I like the idea of not posting the news here. But it's actually kind of entertaining to follow some of it, just to hear what the conspiracy theory du jour is. I've heard everything from the virus was genetically engineered in the US (as a bio-weapon) and stolen by China; to it's a plot by the Chinese to buy up control (stock) of US companies on the cheap.

Lets hope the news about getting close to the peak in the US is not a hoax, and it will wind down to a more manageable level in a few weeks.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Randall, you have it all wrong, it is from toxins created by the body due to the stronger signal of new 5g networks. Science proves this, 5g was released in China first. Something, something, New World Order, something something testing is really a plot to put microchips in all of us and spread the disease, I forget why.

I am going back out to the garage.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Good idea. We should all go back out to the garage, and stop staring at the screens.

(How did people ever exist without 24/7 news coverage ... )

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag

“If you don’t read the newspaper you’re uninformed, if you do read it, you’re misinformed”.

I know, I know, newspapers??? What are they?

Country flag
Grew up reading the paper, but pretty much quit about 5 years ago. Reason was that they pretty much dropped actual news in favor of 2-4 "human interest" type features. Cheaper I guess, but it just purpetuates the circle, less news means less money means less staff means less news. So I hit online sites on both sides of the political divide to see what each decides is important and how they report it, then make upmy own mind how accurate they seem to be.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I visit a *lot* of "news" websites, getting an overview, then cross checking details. The 'net makes it incredibly easy to share bogus stories - but also makes it possible to check the stories for veracity. Also take a couple print newspapers - at least ones which carry local, national, and international events.

Would really like to see a compilation list of news sources BCF folk use, but would probably need to be anonymous to prevent forest fires. Maybe we could submit our sources to Basil, who could post them as a list, but prevent comment?

Just sayin'
Tom M.

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
If you aren't posting any more, does that mean that you are not posting any less?

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
:excitement:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I always liked the cartoon section, it made more sense than the news at times! :highly_amused: Funny, I actually miss the morning news paper, another era that has died.

Country flag
Yea, I miss it too. My dad was a voracious reader so from elementary age on I read the local small town paper and the delivered Cincinnati paper, back when the daily was the size of today's Sunday edition. News magazines too. People think I'm a bit nuts wanting to know and try to understand everything that's going on round the world. But I grew up with that mindset in the family home.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Some newspaper memories from back in the day, beginning around 1950 -

Fort Worth Star Telegram

Fort Worth Press

Valley Morning Star (Mickey might remember that one!)

Capital Times (Madison WI)

Chicago Tribune

Chicago Reader

Chicago Seed

The Times (London)

Boston Globe

New York Times

Wall Street Journal

Yours?

Country flag
The Cincinnati Enquirer (just a shadow of what it used to be)
The Cininnati Post (gone for a long time now)
The Daily Times (local small town paper now a weekly with little local coverage)
Time (dying I say, not what it was when I was a kid)
Newsweek (online only now if I recall correctly)
( ok the last 2 aren't papers, but were national and world news)

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When I was a kid I delivered a Journal. Later the wife and I had two subscriptions for morning reads, 1 big town the other local town news. Dropped the local town, got too political, kept the big town for a few more years and then all of a sudden they couldn't hit my driveway. So, I cancelled. Driver stopped by and asked why after all these years did I drop the newspaper? Just said because you can no longer hit my driveway. He said that's a problem? Yes, it's 48' wide and you can't hit it so I don't need it anymore.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When I was a kid I couldn't wait to get my "Boys Life", "Popular Mechanics" and "Popular Electronics"..... not news worthy but good publications.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
When I was a kid I couldn't wait to get my "Boys Life", "Popular Mechanics" and "Popular Electronics"..... not news worthy but good publications.

Wow - forgot about the grade school things. Always looked forward to My Weekly Reader, Scholastic, Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, and my Cub Scout magazine, then later Boys Life.

memories!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Wow, Popular Mechanics and Popular Science were my favorite magazines! I haven't read one of those in ages. Are they still in print?