• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Dell Laptop.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Just bought a new laptop for my wife. Chose a Dell 15 5000 Inspiron after a lot of digging on the internet and not being too happy with what I saw on the other brands.

It came with Windows 10 Pro and I got MS Office Home and Business 2019 in the bundle.

Now the issue is trying to get the Office to load/install. Every time I go to the Office/MS site I get directed to MS 365 and they ask for the 25 digit code or do I want to buy MS 365?

Trying to get a body on the phone these days is impossible and the chat option is like holding a conversation with siri.

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
David - did you buy the Dell direct from Dell? or was it from a third party, like the Dells sold at Walmart, Target, etc.?

Dell provides that 25 digit code in the original packing. That's the way it was for the laptops we got at the air museum.

Tom M.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Directly from Dell. Ordered on their site. There is a small square Microsoft sticker on the bottom with no numbers on it. Also a service code and service tag. Both take you to an automated system which asks generic questions and leads back to the Office 365 area.

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
David - you mention " ... the issue is trying to get the Office to load/install. "

So Office isn't already running on the laptop? you have to install it from somewhere?

Does the package you got say the laptop came with Office home/business installed? or just that you can install it?

(sorry to be picky, but I'm trying to guess exactly what the Dell instructions say you need to do to get Office running. There are lots of Dell laptops that come with "MS Office 90 day trial" - not a full installation.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Unfortunately the laptop came with virtually no instructions. Just a Warranty, Safety and Regulatory flyer. Printed in micro text about 2 1/2" x 5" and a second flyer the same size that shows where to plug it in, turn it on and some Dell support windows.
When I placed the order I selected the Office Home and Business 2019 as an add on not the free 90 day trial of 365. It appears on the invoice as a separate line item directly above Windows 10 Pro. which was also selected at purchace.

I understand you trying to get the facts clear. The only way to understand the issue and possible offer a suggestion.

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Thank you Tom.

I think that I e mailed the same link to my wife's account so I would have it on her laptop. I have copied your link as well.

Windows is active and updated.

I will let you know how it goes.

David

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I've had a Dell Inspiron laptop 5000 series for about 4 years now. A few small problems, easily fixed by my tech stores. Also a Dell desktop.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Tom
Thank you.

After a couple of hours on chat with Microsoft office help they got it resolved. Seems you can't have office 365 installed and office home and business at the same time. The office 365 was the Free 90 day trial.

Seems to work now.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
David - glad you got it sorted out. I didn't know you had both Office 365 and Office home/business on that laptop. Wonder how that happened?

Anyway, should be smooth sailing now.
Be well.
Tom M.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
The Office 365 came loaded as a 90 day trial. I thought that as I had ordered home and Business they would have left the other one off. Took the help person a long while to get it sorted. They did what I did in downloading Home and Business then realized they had to uninstall 365 first.

Probable a bit like you have to uninstall Mcaffee before Norton will install.

David