• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Dot 5

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am in the late stage of restoring a 54TR-2 Long Door. The brake system is all new, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, clutch slave cylinder. The steel lines were good, flushed good before re-installing. I have heard the pro's and con's of using DOT 5. Any suggestions, guys?

2long

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Should go with DOT5. With all new braking system, one of the "cons" is eliminated as there is little to no chance of mixing fluids. DOT5 does better for vehicles stored for periods of time, and of course won't melt paint. I have had it in my Doretti and TR2 for years and no problems, both have firm pedals. Let the debate begin!

Dan

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I am in the late stage of restoring a 54TR-2 Long Door. The brake system is all new, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, clutch slave cylinder. The steel lines were good, flushed good before re-installing. I have heard the pro's and con's of using DOT 5. Any suggestions, guys?

After I saw the mess that occurred over the years in the paint beneath the reservoir, I went with DOT 5!
Before:
View attachment 62977
and after:

View attachment 62978

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 65

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
I've been using DOT5 in my TR3 for 5 or 6 years. I have seen no "cons". The main "con" of DOT3 is that a paint sprayer is hard to get into the engine box when the fluid damages your paint, which it surely eventually will.
Bob

ed_h

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I've watched these online DOT3-4/5 debates for years. Opinions usually seem to favor DOT5 by a ratio of 4 or 5 to 1 and increasing.

I use DOT5 and see no good reason to switch back.

Ed

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Thanks Guys, DOT it is!

Dick

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW, you can partially compensate for the soft pedal by converting to the braided stainless brake hoses. They swell less under pressure than the originals.

I've lost track of just how long I've been using DOT 5, got to be around 35 years. I really like it and recommend it; unless you want to be absolutely original and have brake problems every year. That's one part of the "Triumph experience" that I'm glad to miss out on!

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have posted this before, I have used DOT 5 for years, and have fewer leaks in the hydraulics, which used to be a more regular occurrence. No problem with mushy pedal or blessing. However after about 8 years I had a brake master cylinder fail. It wasn't the rubber, when I took it apart there was a line of corrosion straight down the bottoms of the bore.

DOT5 doesn't absorb water, it sinks to the bottom of the mix. My fault for not flushing often enough, and I still use it, but in my mind that is the real issue with DOT5.