• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A Virus Scene from my Kidhood

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
tumblr_lmawh4ssg21qi1raio1_500.jpg

This is from a drive-in polio vaccination spot in Los Angeles in 1960. It's notable Mom is driving a bugeye as Dr. Jonas Salk, the inventor of the polio vaccine, drove a bugeye when he was at Pitt. That car was later sold to Donna Mae Mims, famous Sprite racer who converted it to its "Think Pink" livery.
[FONT=&quot]This picture brings back a lot of memories. I remember my big cousins trying to scare me with tales of the giant needle I was going to get jabbed with for the polio vaccine before entering the first grade and how happy we all were when we got the oral vaccine in later grades. Being told not to play with friends who were suspected of being infected. The local sanitarium would bring kids confined to wheelchairs out to watch the Memorial and Veterans Day parades. I remember seeing older folks and kids walking in braces due to polio and what a big deal it was when the scourge was ended. I hope there's another brilliant doctor or team out there like Dr. Salk that can put a quick and safe end to this latest virus.[/FONT]

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I guess you could call that a "Drive by shooting".

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks for sharing those memories and the *great* photo!

I remember many of those events myself - like closing the swimming pools, parents always afraid their children might "take a chill", the iron lungs, the "Sister Kenny" therapy. And the 100s of kids in wheelchairs in my home town of Fort Worth TX. Finally, the "March of Dimes" paid off, thanks to O'Connor's constant (and often controversial) push.

Tom M.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for injecting some humor to a serious situation.

Injecting humour - I see what you did there. :cheers:

We have a woman at church who had polio - on crutches her whole adult life. I want to introduce her to anti-vaxxers :censored: or is that too political?

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Injecting humour - I see what you did there. :cheers:

We have a woman at church who had polio - on crutches her whole adult life. I want to introduce her to anti-vaxxers :censored: or is that too political?

Just like there's no atheists in foxholes, I suspect some of those folks may be re-examining their beliefs once a coronavirus vaccine is available.

65_BRG_Sprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My wife's elder brother spent time in an iron lung machine after contracting polio. I remember dreading the injections and then the miracle to us kids of the oral dose.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My best friend's younger brother had polio and walked with braces and crutches. I recall he would have been about 7 at the time.

dklawson

Yoda
I remember standing in line at the local elementary school to get my polio vaccine. Like 65_BRG_Sprite mentioned above, my vaccine was not a shot. When I got to the head of the line they had the Sabin liquid delivered via sugar cubes. I thought my dad was playing a joke on me.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My dad-in-law worked at the D.T. Watson Home in Sewickley, PA, would often take young daughter Mitsy with him. She played with and made friends with the children variously afflicted. Dr. Salk frequently made visits to the facility, was kind and friendly to th' `mits as she recalls.