• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Piston Sleeves

Jayplum

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The sleeves in my 57 TR3 came out without any effort and the new ones slide in without any effort. Is this normal; seems there should be some resistance and seat well. They do not seem loose from side to side but the insertion was to easy. They do protrude a couple thousands out the top and assume the head would hole them. Am I just looking for problems or do I have one?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sounds good to me. They do go in easy if everything is clean.

I would measure the protrusion on both sides, as I've had two engines in a row now where the deck isn't quite level. But I don't see a problem with what you've described.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
If you’ve read previous liner threads, you realize how lucky you are! There is a gasket at each end, so easy fit is no problem.

OP
Jayplum

Jayplum

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Even paranoid people have bad luck.
I’ve put a minimal number of miles on this fully rebuilt engine but had a piston failure.
#4 piston self destructed. The piston collapsed at one point breaking the first two ring groves.
I did a compression test showing 175# on 1,2,3 and 120# on 4. Pulled head off and removed cylinders.
I looked for replacements but found all sources to be back ordered. This sounds like a recall. Anyone have any insight on this?

mastaphixa

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
Well that's certainly disheartening! Do you remember if you checked the ring end gap during rebuild?

OP
Jayplum

Jayplum

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Yes I remember and no I didn’t.
they came assembled. I suspect the gap may have been off and possibly aligned.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Bummer. The most common cause of that would be detonation. Of course a flaw in the piston and mechanical interference are also possibilities. One thing, 175psi sounds rather high to me for a compression test on these engines. It sounds like you have a higher compression ratio than stock, which can be a good thing...unless it promotes detonation.

OP
Jayplum

Jayplum

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Today, normally I would look for detonation issues but I saw no distortion to the surface. It was heavily carboned but nothing else
17AF5F0A-73B9-4258-B5CA-A90EF1AB2CBE.jpeg
EA9B4B17-F8E7-48F0-AA0A-A344F9DF21C5.jpeg

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Interesting. I see a crack going down below the second ring too. I would lean towards a flaw in the piston. How does the carbon-free area look? Is it dull or shiny? Shiny may be a sign that there was contact with the head. Also, were the liners new or re-conditioned?

OP
Jayplum

Jayplum

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Dull
Interesting. I see a crack going down below the second ring too. I would lean towards a flaw in the piston. How does the carbon-free area look? Is it dull or shiny? Shiny may be a sign that there was contact with the head. Also, were the liners new or re-conditioned?
Appeared to be new.
Is that a hole in the piston almost level with the
Is that a hole in the piston almost level with the gudgeon pin hole?

David

pin hole? It looks like it but i've sent them back to the supplier and have to rely on an old man's memory and the photos. The wrist pin was checked and no excessive movement. Since I looked at the piston and my attention to the piston failure at the power ring and below, I did not take notice of that hole. Good pick up on your part but I feel the uniformity suggest a manufactured hole and not a new one. Since it is well below the rings, if it was a hole it would only assist oiling the cylinder wall??? sorry I over looked this.

Attachments

• 62D0F3E8-0E15-43B1-96ED-BCD1409FA8DC.jpeg
    62D0F3E8-0E15-43B1-96ED-BCD1409FA8DC.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 63

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Zooming in on that hole it does not look like it was drilled more like the piston wall was knocked out from the inside. Rough surface and a cone shaped hole. Also just below the hole the piston wall looks like there is a casting defect.

David

OP
Jayplum

Jayplum

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I can’t argue your observations and agree with the hole nir being drilled. Seems that would have eaten up the sleeve wall; #4 sleeve would have only needed a light touch with a hone. I wonder what failed first the side where the hole is or above in the r rings, chicken or egg.

Attachments

• 0E7498AA-8CD6-49B7-B365-158299D68F64.heic
    1.3 MB · Views: 66

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry to see that Jayblum, I feel your pain; I had a new engine fail. When you guys suggest detonation causing the failure, what do you mean? The engine was pinging and getting a double spark or something like that.

steve

mastaphixa

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
Detonation refers to an instantaneous explosion of the fuel air mixture in the combustion chamber rather than a controlled burn. It can seriously damage internal engine parts due to the physical and thermal loads encountered.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Well after my engine failure, I very interest in the subject of new engine failure problems. I put some of those split-fire plugs in my car because I found they burn better, but I do remember something about maybe a detonation problem with those type plugs, anyone hear that or am I paranoid.

steve

OP
Jayplum

Jayplum

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Well after my engine failure, I very interest in the subject of new engine failure problems. I put some of those split-fire plugs in my car because I found they burn better, but I do remember something about maybe a detonation problem with those type plugs, anyone hear that or am I paranoid.

steve
Predetonation simply means the timing is to advanced. Proper timing is before top dead center and maximum burn occurs on the down stroke. To advanced try’s to stop the engine into reverse. Hence the trauma to the piston.