• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 75 TR 6 seat track location

JWDH

Freshman Member
So I have a 75 TR 6 which had rotten floor pans which I have cut out. In addition this car had different seats in it from some other unknown car. I have obtained the correct seats and tracks. Now here is the problem, I have no idea as to where to locate the tracks. The bolt holes on the frame do not line up with the holes on the track. Are the tracks just bolted to the floor pan? Help....and Thanks

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The seat sliders are mounted directly to the floor, not the frame. Normally you would have nuts inside cages on the underside of the floor pan. As to the exact location of those holes for the tracks I can not help you. But will tell you that if you are particularly tall you my wish to determine the best location for the tracks for yourself. I believe that the TR4 through 6 all have the same bolt hole locations.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That is correct... the nuts are welded to the floor pans in the TR6. If you cut out the floor pans and have the sections that you cut out, have a look at them for location.
Possibly just replace the floor pans with new ones....

OP
J

JWDH

Freshman Member
Thank you....this was a big surprise. So I will go find a TR 6 and measure their track location and duplicate. What do you mean with the term "cages"? Cheers

OP
J

JWDH

Freshman Member
Thank you....this was an unexpected joy finding that I have no way to locate the seats tracks.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have attached a pic of a floor panel and circled in WHITE the caged nut for the seat rails.
Hopefully you will be able to see the nut welded to the floor panel.
Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 4.04.00 PM.jpg

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
There was a small spacing washer between the floor and seat track - WM67 in the parts book. The seats had never been out of my 74.5 and I was surprised how small they were; 1/4" tall but not very wide. I replaced them with some about as wide as the track. Originally there was underfelt under the seats, but it can can hold moisture and lead to rust.

I'll add a picture of the original spacers if I can find them...

ed_h

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I'll save you the trouble, Tropic. Original spacers on the left. They looked sort of wimpy to me, too. New ones on the right.

Ed

DSC04315A.JPG

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
A cage nut can be several ways. welded in place, floating in a pocket as a threaded plate or as a speed nut. Reason being no acc to the nut. Your track will have several mounting holes that are staggered that may be why you feel they do not line up. Wider spacers would be best or stacked washers on top of spacer to rise above carpet. As noted above rust can happen so I used SS 1/4 28 bolts. You may need to run a tap to clean threads to speed mounting. My 1973 TR 6 LH drive Drivers seat uses the widest holes on the left side of track an the front hole and closer hole on the right side of track. ( NOTE ) It can be a fight! if the nuts are in the pan then drill the track not the floor pan. Madflyer

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Being vertically challenged, I used wooden spacers and longer bolts to raise the seat up about 3". Still a bit low. That's the reason I never bought an old BMW or a Jag XK 120 - could never see over the steering wheel.