• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What you getting done?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
As for me, I decided to get the ladder out and patch/paint the area around my fireplace. We had some water damage from leaks around the chimney.
We had a new roof installed about two years ago and have not had any more leaks so it was time to tackle the repair.
What are you doing?

IMG_4330.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Elliot - want to come work on my chimney leak?

I've been troubleshooting that and doing some minor roof repair. Also fixed a couple loose hinges on cabinets, repaired an old bread machine, and figured out how to wire up the new video projector with HDMI (from DVD) and composite (from cable box).

Most important, I've been keeping in touch with former students - just spent an hour talking with one from the late 1970s. Great to catch up. He's a photographer, and sent me a photo he took when he and his family were on a hike near their home in Wisconsin this morning.

owl.png

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sure Tom I’ll be happy to help for free... your chimney’s on the house :welcoming:
Be careful working on the roof Tom.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Elliot, I did the exact same job a couple weeks ago, though my ceilings are quite a bit lower. I thought I did a pretty good job with the repairs, but one area kept lifting and cracking, so I have had to redo a couple times, and once again I have three little spots, all no bigger than an inch, but enough to bug me be cause the rest turned out very well.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I’m happy your “To-Do” is not long.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Just enough of everything to make the wife think I'm busy. If she asks what I need to do, I show her 5 clipboards of each different vehicle that needs some sort of maintenance, and the extra long cliboard with 2 yellow pad pages of house and lawn work. She does not bother me much, thankfully never asks how long.

Country flag
Right now, more outdoors tpe stuff, mowed for the first time over the weekend to not only even out the grass now that it's growing again but to mulch up the winter debris like remaining leaves. And did some painting of parts, steering column, rear end bits and other odds and ends.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Been cleaning my office and tossing a ton of old and no longer needed paperwork. Also trying to get my files better organized.

That's most of what I am doing - big box for (eventual) shredding as I scan old documents. As mentioned elsewhere scanning DVDs on a separate computer. Hope to move to books soon.

And now that my days are getting slightly more regulated - hopefully the yard and basement.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Check some of the scans are good before you shred the paper copy.
I worked at a company that decided to eliminate their paper machine catalogs and put it all on computer. They hired an outside group to do the scanning. Found out later that the scans were done on the wrong format so a vital bit of every page was missing. The outside group had destroyed the originals.

David

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Check some of the scans are good before you shred the paper copy.
I worked at a company that decided to eliminate their paper machine catalogs and put it all on computer. They hired an outside group to do the scanning. Found out later that the scans were done on the wrong format so a vital bit of every page was missing. The outside group had destroyed the originals.

David

BTDT - checking and double checking! Also not terribly important stuff if I'm honest :grin:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've been cleaning stuff up. I'll insulate my shed and possibly get it wired this next week. Then I have many small projects, mostly car or gun related, to keep me busy for a bit.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Walt - one thing I've learned over the years, living in a house built in 1826.

When you fix one thing, you find two more things that need repair.

Tom M.

UltimateQuestion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a list of mostly small projects around the house, gotten a couple done. Warmer weather coming, I'll be in the garage clearing out space to get working on my GT6. When the government money comes I'll get a welder and fix my rotted out floors.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Major yard clean up. Had a fire going for days burning limbs, leaves and other junk wood. Looking to get rid of a lot of stuff that should have gone years ago.

David

D

Deleted member 8987

Yard. Scrape and paint on house. Errands for the wife.

Finishing re-packing stuff in the basement after the water event.
Decided that a 2-raol 0 tank car that was converted from 3 rail 0 needed to go back. Chiseled off the epoxied on coupler boxes, dug out some vintage Lionel rucks and couplers, put the car in service.

Took apart a pre-war Lionel steam engine a friend gave me, fixed the paint.....he got a little too conservative on the black over red primer on the lower parts. Paint done, dug up some hardware to replace what was wrong, polished rods.

Rebuilt 3 out of 5 fire barrels and platforms on my big outdoor trestle.

Clean the sidearms.

Trim the beard.