Thread: BJ7 HS6 Carb Baseline Setting

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

BJ7 HS6 Carb Baseline Setting

I had new throttle bushing put in my carbs and I just finished rebuilding them. I am ready to put them back in the car to tune. Can anyone recommend the baseline settings to start with? I know the Jet is supposed to be down 2 full turns or 12 flats from flush of the bridge. What about throttle adj screw and fast idle adj screw? I heard throttle adj screw is 1 1/2 turns. Is that from what, screw just touching stop or after it is flush with bottom where it is screwed into.Thanks in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Re: BJ7 HS6 Carb Baseline Setting

Your 12 flats should be a good start for the jet. Nobody gets to excited about the throttle adj screw because as soon as you start the engine you'll know if it was a good starting point. I think 1 1/2 turns on the throttle adj screw might give you a pretty fast idle. The turn count would start at the point that the screw just touches the stop. I have been using HD8 carbs for awhile so my counts might be off.
    About TV Shows-
    "...you really can't restore a car in 10 days. I don't want to watch a race where people have to restore it in a week. It's not going to drive, and those cars never work. In real life, it takes years to get it right. " Jay Leno.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

FWIW - Des Hammill, p44: jet drop of .040" for 1-1/2" carbs. Jet measured down from the bridge with tail of a caliper. This is a starting point.

Tom Bryant has a good article on tuning the HS6:
    https://thosbryant.wordpress.com/201...uretor-tuning/
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ok, so installed the newly rebuilt carbs in the car. 2 full turns on the jets and the throttle screw and fast idle just touching the cams but not engaging. Car fired right up fast but went up to about 2200 rpms and there it wants to stay. The car has never started so good or fast. Raised the jet 1 flat each and it didn’t seem to change much. The choke is not engaged either. Any ideas where to start to lower the rpms? Thank you

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts

Peter - maybe I'm missing something, but have you checked that the throttle connections are free, and not binding on something?

I remember on my TR3 the gas pedal connection that ran under the dash was frequently getting stuck on the firewall - result: high idle!

Tom M.
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That was the 1st thing I did as I thought something was holding the pedal down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

If you have that fast of an idle with the adjuster screws not turned at all past first contact then something is hung up or the jets are still dirty, or bent, or just plain stuck. First thing I would do is to loosen the interlock clamps on the throttle shafts to make the carbs independant then make sure the throttle plates are all the way closed when at idle position. then make sure the shafts aren't sticking. Then make sure the throttle plates aren't sticking. Close the jets all the way up to full lean then make sure they can be pulled down with no sticking and that when released they return to full lean. then turn the jets down a few flats at a time and pull them down and release at each position to make sure they aren't sticking. I'm going to guess that your throttle shafts and blades aren't right. Also check the piston that it is not sticking and also that the needle is centered and not bent.
    Last edited by vette; 04-05-2020 at 07:41 PM.
    About TV Shows-
    "...you really can't restore a car in 10 days. I don't want to watch a race where people have to restore it in a week. It's not going to drive, and those cars never work. In real life, it takes years to get it right. " Jay Leno.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

I had that at one time. A small piece of debris was holding a throttle plate open.
    John, BN4

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Check for a vacuum leak. Some fitting might also be missing. The drain tubes on the bottom of the intake manifold sometimes go missing.
    Bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by British_Recovery View Post
    Check for a vacuum leak. Some fitting might also be missing. The drain tubes on the bottom of the intake manifold sometimes go missing.
    Bob

Absolutely, good point.
    About TV Shows-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It ended up being the interlock clamps on the throttle shaft. Once I adjusted them things dropped to normal. Thanks all.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PeterB For This Useful Post:

John Turney  (04-06-2020)