Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV "car guys"

The Pub is: Forum to generally shoot the breeze. It is NOT: a debate forum (NO Politics, religion, or controversial topics.) Keep it clean, fun and lite!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

TV "car guys"

Just watched some guy discover to his apparent surprise it's possible to drive a "sports car" (Miata in this case) in winter conditions. We drove MGB's year 'round, beginning from the late '60's, out of necessity. Semperit tires and away we go. Driven through blizzards over the Allegheny Mountains in those cars. This show EveryDay Driver featured a Nissan 4WD SUV and a Miata, they drove them through similar snow conditions and the take-away seemed to be what we've known for years; turn OFF all the fancy electronic traction control stuff and DRIVE the car. And that it IS possible to drive a sportscar in both summer and winter.

I guess there's an audience for the shows with people expounding on the "wonderful" tech features in modern cars, but in this case the conclusion is something a lot of us here have known for decades: a lighter car is no detriment to driving over snow-covered highways.

...and control is better left to the driver.
    '64 MGB, '67 Lotus Elan S-3 DHC,'69 Lotus Elan +2
    '78 Alfa Romeo Spider-undergoing surgery: O=\*/=O
    '84 300D Turbo-"Diesela"-Now my Daily: Oo|≣|oO
    '02 Toyota Camry- SWMBO's 'new-to-her' Daily. <sigh>
    Chaos & Mayhem PTY, LTD..C.I.O. & Floor Sweepervisor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Re: TV "car guys"

Geez.
    Cheers,
    Walter
    52 International L110
    68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
    96 Mazda Miata

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

...and control is better left to the driver

This should read ...and control is better left to people who know how to drive.
    &quot;Age considers; youth ventures.&quot; Rabindranth Tagore
    1975 Spitfire

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts

One of my young interns at Sturbridge wanted to drive my old TR3. We went out to the parking lot, and I told him "remember, this is an old car that doesn't have power brakes."

Intern said "What are power brakes?"

If you grow up with all sorts of tech stuff to "help" you, you think it's always been that way ... and you never learn to really drive (or cook, or plan finances, or have a conversation, or ...).

Need I say ... "Smaht Pahk"?
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Going to school in Indiana, PA...living in Harrisburg, PA, the Allegheny's could be daunting. Prepared the TR4A by removing the hub caps...to keep them from rusting. The Michelin X's always got me there. This photo taken when the TR was wearing "Lotus livery".
    Attached Images Attached Images

'66 TR4A '68 GT6

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NutmegCT View Post
    One of my young interns at Sturbridge wanted to drive my old TR3. We went out to the parking lot, and I told him "remember, this is an old car that doesn't have power brakes."

Intern said "What are power brakes?"

If you grow up with all sorts of tech stuff to "help" you, you think it's always been that way ... and you never learn to really drive (or cook, or plan finances, or have a conversation, or ...).

Need I say ... "Smaht Pahk"?
    One of the reasons cars with stick shifts are less likely any more to be stolen. At least by Millennial Joyriders. Add to that mix, RHD with LH floor shift....or three-on-the-tree. All of the above I own and drive. I never lock my cars any more. Avoids broken windows, and there is nothing to steal.
    Over 50 years ago I tried to teach my wife to drive a stick. She started with a column automatic.
    Third time she took out reverse, I gave up. She STILL has to have an automatic to drive, and can't drive my three.

Folks get used to proximity warning sensors...don't know to actually LOOK. Rented a car once with backup camera. I covered the screen...too distracting using actual MIRRORS to back up.

Now you have to have some electronic assist to park your car.

Stupid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Yep been there done that. Drove an MGA thru my college years in early '70s. The tall tires on a narrow, light chassis made it dig like a tractor. The only thing that slowed it down was when the snow would get packed into the grill area. Sometimes it would freeze up in front of the radiator and I had to chip it out with a screwdriver.
    About TV Shows-
    "...you really can't restore a car in 10 days. I don't want to watch a race where people have to restore it in a week. It's not going to drive, and those cars never work. In real life, it takes years to get it right. " Jay Leno.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NutmegCT View Post
    ... We went out to the parking lot, and I told him "remember, this is an old car that doesn't have power brakes." Intern said "What are power brakes?"
    An acquaintance of mine owns Corvairs and works at home. One afternoon he heard some noises outside. He found his son pointing to the open driver's door and explaining to his friends that some cars really did require you to "roll up" the windows.

Quote Originally Posted by TOC View Post
    One of the reasons cars with stick shifts are less likely any more to be stolen. At least by Millennial Joyriders.
    I have a Millennial Anti-theft Device T-shirt. My sons refused to buy it for me... but then again... they can drive stick.
    Link to T-Shirt
    Doug L.
    '64 Morris Mini Cooper-S 1275
    '67 Triumph GT6 Mk1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Last summer i decided to take the wife and daughter and her husband for a late afternoon ride and stop for dinner. I took the new Vette and I gave the old Vette to the daughter and her husband. When he went to start it I told him to let it warm up for a few minutes.......he asked "Why" ???????
    Then on the way home, after dark, as we got closer to home ( I live on a rural road ) I noticed he wasn't behind me. We got into the driveway and we waited a few minutes for them to show up. After we got the cars bedded down in the garage I asked him what took him so long coming up the road. He said "How do you turn the High Beams on ". Duh. Kids.
    About TV Shows-
    "...you really can't restore a car in 10 days. I don't want to watch a race where people have to restore it in a week. It's not going to drive, and those cars never work. In real life, it takes years to get it right. " Jay Leno.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

High beams on the floor?
    Cheers,
    Walter
    52 International L110
    68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
    96 Mazda Miata

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Not only on the floor but hidden under the carpet. He never new a car that didn’t have a high beam switch on the steering column.
    About TV Shows-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Try it on a RHD MK2 Jag. It's up high against the tunnel, inboard clutch pedal. Royal pain to get my foot on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TOC View Post
    Try it on a RHD MK2 Jag. It's up high against the tunnel, inboard clutch pedal. Royal pain to get my foot on it.
    At least you know where it is. My son-in-law didn't have a clue. LOL.
    About TV Shows-

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Friend of mine suffered an "incident" at our annual sports car dinner a few years ago. Was taken to a local hospital. I had to drive his Toyota Avalon home. Automatic transmission. Somehow I got it stuck in second gear and had to drive it all the way home on the parkway in second. Found out later that you had to move the lever sideways to upshift. Who knew? My Subaru has the same feature but with paddle shifters.

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sometimes I wonder with all the assists we may pay less attention to driving. A few summer ago I rented Fiat 500 four door. Backing out of a short driveway, my wife said, "Why don't you just use the screen?" Well using the screen I nearly hit the people walking down the sidewalk. We had GMC pickup with a rear camera - two mirrors on the doors, a center mirror, and the screen located in the dash - there seemed too be too many places to look. Sometimes maybe just turn your head to look where you are backing.

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

At a car show last fall a guy asked what the hole in the grill was for on my TR3A. "The starting handle" I said. He looked a bit baffled at that so I got it the handle out of the boot. Turned the ignition on and checked the car was in neutral. It started on the second turn of the handle. He was amazed.
    I think I could have made money doing a starting demo every 15 minutes at the show.

David
    TR3A TS75524L

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

When I got my first drivers license, if you took the driving test in a car with automatic transmission then it was listed on the license and you were not authorized to drive a stick shift. Times have changed.
    Was Man nicht im Kopf hat muss Man in den Beinen haben
    '48 Ford Prefect
    '67 Sprite (project)
    '74 Super Beetle
    http://enfoprefect.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Remember when automatic transmission was an option, stick was standard, now it's just the opposite and some don't even offer a stick in any vehicles. A fellow worker had a 1955 ElCamino pickup with an automatic transmission, first truck I ever saw with that option, was quite expensive for that time. Yes, times have changed for sure. PJ

Remember, Never Forget
    We Live In The Land of The Free
    Because of The Brave

How good it feels, the hand of an old friend! Longfellow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

I bought a 2019 mazda3 sedan last year and wanted to get the 6-speed manual. The only way they offer the manual is their top of the line model.
    Elliot
    Central PA
    1973 TR6 Damson Plum / Biscuit interior, HVDA 5-speed, Good Parts Hubs
    1976 TR6 White/Biscuit interior SOLD
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

My Wife has a 2010 Ford Fusion,with a 6 speed manual transmission.
    She didn't want an automatic.
    Out of five vehicles,my dd Dodge Dakota is the only automatic that we
    have.I couldn't find one with a 5 speed.
    Never do anything you
    wouldn't want to explain
    to the paramedics.