• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech Bleeding Brakes—Venturi/Compressor

KVH

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I have one of those old Griot’s garage one man bleeder kits that you use with a compressor. When I use it, I never see an end to the bubbles. In other words, I don’t get to a point where everything just looks like clear fluid coming through the plastic line.

Can anyone just give me a little thumbnail description of how that tool is effectively used, and whether it is still considered a good tool. I see so many others out there.

Thank you

Last edited:

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry, I don't know how that particular brake bleeder works, but I've always managed to bleed brakes by myself using the gravity method. With as far along as you are with the bleeding, it should be a breeze to finish by gravity bleeding.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I do know that if you open the bleeders too much they will suck air. So the air is not from the system, but introduced through the bleeder screw threads. Only crack the bleeders just enough to get a flow, no more, and the bubbles should stop.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I use a tall glass jar filled about half way with brake fluid. I run a clear hose from the bleeder to the bottle with hose clipped to jar to keep fom popping out. Hose is long enough i can see from drivers door. I open bleeder and pump brakes and watch bubbles. Fluid when pumped might return to cylinder but air goes to the top of jar and out. Used one man bleeders, but can be messy. Have not seen Griots, but have used similar.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I do know that if you open the bleeders too much they will suck air. So the air is not from the system, but introduced through the bleeder screw threads. Only crack the bleeders just enough to get a flow, no more, and the bubbles should stop.

+1. Also note that the bubbles are generated at the bleeder screw so the air may still be evacuated from the system even when you see the bubbles. At least that's what I've found with my vac bleeder.
Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
One alternative is to wrap the bleeder threads with Teflon tape to better seal against the ingress of air as you vacuum bleed.

I have used the venturi sucking unit from HF (looks like the Griots version) but for easy bleeding I usually go with a pressure bleeder made from a bicycle inner tube. Quick, easy and effective.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Thanks guys. I finally got everything working fine. I had a terrible time bleeding those lines, and maybe because so much air was caught in the lines from when I put the car on jacks two months ago with the fluids empty.

I eventually used the old fashioned way—my son pumping the brakes, but it literally took over an hour of going back and forth thru the process until my rear cylinders would finally bleed.

So, naturally, I’m wondering if it was all my fault, and I have two questions.

First, did I mess up by not bench bleeding the master cylinder. I can’t recall ever needing to do that when I replaced the brake master cylinder in the past. It always seems the bleeding process took care of that.

Second, when I was all done I noticed that the emergency brake was partially on. Could that have been part of the problem? (Should I have publicly admitted doing this)

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Those master cylinders often get air bound. Bench bleeding will avoid that. So will cracking the pressure line at the cylinder itself while pumping after it's in the car. Not a problem with a vacuum or pressure bleeder though.
Although the hand brake will limit the movement of the pistons in the wheel cylinders, you still should be able to get rid of the air.
Tom