• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Too many tools?

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Last week I started what would have been a two hour job - hanging some plastic wall covering, RFP, I think it is called. The stuff has been the shop since 2017 taking up space and generally in the way. So I thought some liquid nails and a few minutes and I'm done. Two days later with the use of many drill bits, four different varieties of saws, chalk line, a hammer or two, and the quota of expletives it is finished. Looks pretty good, too. I'm thinking most of the reason it took as many hours is that I had the tools and maybe the skill to make it look good. Years ago, before I started playing with British cars the initial action, glue and call it done, would have sufficed.

And by the way, I'm not sure about "too many" tools. Can one have "too many?"

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Instead of "too many tools" maybe it's a case of "too high a standard" as you mentioned. Now that you can, you do. Sometimes, though, I'm learning to be more accepting of "that'll do."

Too many tools is just not a thing I can recognize. ;)

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"Too many tools" just doesn't compute.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I used to have too many tools but they mysteriously disappear :rolleye:

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I am going to go against the grain. At least for working on cars and most common round the house and yard chores I have most everything I need. I have resisted the urge lately to buy more (I sometimes covet a metric gearwrench set and a better welder). I have enough that if I don't have the exact I can cobble up what can work. I have focused more lately on organizing (I moved to a new garage) and being able to find what I have when I need it.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Too many tools"?? I don't understand that at all. But doing a task to a higher standard rather than a simply acceptable one is perfectly understandable. A few years ago when doing some drywall work after installing a 'pocket door' in our bathroom, the joints taped and mud applied, my time sanding it, applying more compound and going over it again to make it seamless for painting was apparently excessive to Mitsy. Her declaration was: "C'mon, Doc! It's a wall, NOT a FERRARI !!" *shrug*

Be it a wall, tile flooring or in fact a Ferrari, it's not so much that others will see it as it is that I'm going to. And thinking there's some part of a job I may have left less-than "personally proper" would bother me every time I'd see it.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Exactly doc.... that's why the pyramids are still here :encouragement:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Doc I understand that perfectly.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I forgot to ad that I bought an environmentally safe chain saw the other day. Only problem is I'm right handed!:rolleyes2:
View attachment 62836