• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Taycan Turbo S spotted in captivity

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Gold
Country flag
For the past several years, I've worked a benefit driving event conducted as a portion of the Amelia Island Concours Rallye. We had a great time this year at Mayport Naval Air Station with 70 folks in the morning and then another 70 in the afternoon plus some military guests. We had six Porsche Carerra S, two Panamara GTS, and one Taycan Turbo S. Unfortunately, we didn't get to drive the Taycan except to move if from its overnight hangar to the display area and then to the truck for transport. The fit and finish of this car is outstanding. With no way to quick charge, we couldn't offer rides to any of the participants or guests. Maybe next year?
Enjoy the pictures, I tried to load individually, but the resolution was way too high, need to adjust my phone.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wdsxzer9rho023n/AACiU3CgQ1xnLWKot_LuErJla?dl=0

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Since I don't follow Porsche' very closely I would like to ask a question. Isn't the the Taycan Turbo S an all electric car?
If so, then how do you turbo an electric car?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It's turbo in name only.The Turbo S is the performance version.
From what I read,it's fast,but with nowhere near the range of a Tesla.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks AngliaGt, I have read some articles about it. There was one that compared the Taycan to Tesla and said just what you have said. Porsche has a different focus than Tesla at this time and it seems they have done a pretty good job of bringing out what they intended. One of them operates at a higher voltage than the other and that is significant. Also as I write this I think I am remembering that one uses 2 motors and the other 4. So their engineering targets were different and I believe Porsche has done a good job of this car. But from the very first utterance of the name that I read i just didn't understand the use of "Turbo" in the name. Thanks again.

OP
jfarris

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Gold
Country flag
Vette,

Good answer from Anglia GT.

You might as well go back to Bletchley Park and ask the code breakers to explain Porsche’s design project numbering versus model numbering.
Most of the modern models, Macan, Cayenne, Panamara, Boxster/Caymen (917), and 911 (992), follow a similar nomenclature. You’ve got the base model, the S, the Carrera S, the Carrera 4S (AWD), the GTS, the Turbo, and the Turbo S. Add GT to the 911s and you can get the RS (RennSport) models. Each step up the chain adds performance. Don’t even ask why the Boxster/Caymen went from 986 to 987 to 981 to 718 (throwback roadster number, factory number is 982) or the 911 was the model 993 in 1993, 996 in 1998, 997 in 2004, 991 in 2011, and 992 in 2020.

The new Taycan 4S, base model even has an enhanced performance level with a performance battery and launch control (Sport Chrono Package). The two upgrades are simply Turbo and Turbo S, all about batteries, inverters and electron travel that only engineers understand.

Model HP Torque 0-60
Taycan 4S 429 472 3.8
Turbo 616 626 3.0
Turbo S 616 774 2.6

They are a hoot to own and drive!

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Jim, Porsche can use any naming system they want but I think calling the Tycan a turbo is disingenuous. I almost bought a Porsche a while back, but bought a new Corvette instead.