• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Tierod Dyslexia?

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
100_2038.jpg100_2037.jpg This is the Passenger side ball joint/tie rod closest to the idler. That nut is "really" on there. To unlock the nut in the pic do I turn it away from me or towards me? No sense working against myself.:eagerness:

Attachments

• 100_2045.jpg
    100_2045.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 49

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
One end of each tie rod is left-handed threads. So it turns the opposite of the usual direction to loosen.

Since it's already damaged, you might find that a "flare nut" wrench will help grip it without further damage.
Eg, https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Standard-Metric-Wrench-Set/dp/B00KF253OG
Is that a left handed thread in the pic? If so I would turn the lock nut towards me? I had a 12" 7/8 box end on it and it would not budge. I suppose if it could try backing the tie rod itself out but a vice grip would probably ruin it.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah get a 6 point wrench on it; it looks to me-- push north. Should be the opposite of the other end, and yes those threads can bend your mind. I would say left hand there, no right.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yes, left hand in the photo. With it laying as in the photo, and the wrench sticking up, you would pull the wrench towards you. Or another way to look at it, turn the nut clockwise.

Turning the tie rod is the same problem, just depends on which way you can get more force on that joint.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I did a small sketch on the inner wheel well to remind me which way to turn the nuts and tie rod to adjust the toe in/out.

David

STeve 1958

Jedi Hopeful
Yes, left hand in the photo. With it laying as in the photo, and the wrench sticking up, you would pull the wrench towards you. Or another way to look at it, turn the nut clockwise.

Clockwise to loosen. That would be pushing the wrench if sticking up. ??? Or am I dyslexic too

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
"Clockwise" depends on which way you look at it. If you think of the tie rod as being the wall (making the tie rod end be the hands of the clock), then it's clockwise (the direction the hands move on a running analog clock).
WYQfx76.jpg
2xDQRAN.gif

STeve 1958

Jedi Hopeful
Does righty tighty, lefty Lucy help. But your saying it's the opposite thread so Righty Lucy, lefty tighty.
Ok that doesn't help at all !

It looks a little like that nut is cross threaded in the photo. Could add to the problem

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
Does righty tighty, lefty Lucy help. But your saying it's the opposite thread so Righty Lucy, lefty tighty.
Ok that doesn't help at all !

It looks a little like that nut is cross threaded in the photo. Could add to the problem

I ended up cutting the lock nut off the stem of the tie rod end with a dremel but damaged the threads. Still not being able to budge the tie rod "adjuster nut" I cut that off as well. I had a tie rod end and nut in pretty good shape so I installed that. I would still like to buy a new inner left hand thread tie rod but Moss wants to sell both ends and the rod as a kit which I don't really need. Randall says TRF has the outer tie rod end but not the inner? Where to get one.?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Randall says TRF has the outer tie rod end but not the inner? Where to get one.?
I didn't mean to say they don't have the inner; only that the LH thread should be on the outer end. The inner end, with the RH threads, is P/N 110467 and they show it as available as well.

As usual, TRF stocks a lot of parts that aren't shown in any of their on-line catalogs. So look up the factory part number in the factory parts catalog
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffMWQ4N2EzZGQtNjc0Ny00YmE2LWFiN2UtZWYzMjNjNGFiYzY4
(tie rods are on page 44) then use TRF's search engine to see if they have that part in their database.
https://secure.zeni.net/trf/
If the STATUS field shows as CUR, the part is available to order. (In theory anyway, the database isn't always strictly accurate.)
zMwwPK2.jpg