• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Others?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Wondered what BCF members are doing to help others during the Coronavirus situation.

Me - doing yard work, getting food, running errands, pruning apple trees, etc. for old folks in the neighborhood.

Hey - I'm not old! I'm only 72 for pete's sake ...

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Spent the morning packing lunch bags for several local schools. As the schools were being closed sooner than expected the lunch bags had to be packed today. The local church supplies up to 500 bags a week to needy school kids.

David

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
We think best not to develop a need to use health system resources, or risk causing others to do so, until world gets a lid on the spread. Wife and I sick since 3/1 with symptoms consistent with COVID 19 (and the flu, etc., etc) and we will stay cocooned as much as possible until further news. We have testing orders we will use when the lines become tolerable.
Bob

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Bob - that's one of the toughest things about this situation. "CoVid 19" is a virus, like influenza, and the common cold. There's no treatment for a virus - you just treat the symptoms. So if you have flu symptoms, you might have CoVid 19, or you might not. But per CDC, if breathing gets difficult, that's one sign you probably need medical attention.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html

I found that using my doctor's email system really helps get info and specific feedback on symptoms.

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
It is hard to get used to thinking this way, but minimizing risk of unnecessarily using health care resources means we don't ride our bikes and avoid activities that enhance the possibility of injury (like trimming trees). My earliest memory of going to hospital was from dropping an ax on my leg while trying to cut a tree branch.
Bob

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have been reading, editing old photographs, playing in the basement with my slot cars, and going for walks. We plan to head to our place in the Poconos over the weekend for a change of pace. Plus we are planning on what we will do if (when) our trip on the Rocky Mountaineer is canceled for mid May...rebooking for next year hopefully.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm checking as much of the Rose and Italian reds that I can to make sure it doesn't go stale

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I've been thinking very much along the same lines as Bob. I like to go bicycling, and it keeps me in decent shape. But there's always the risk of an accident, even though I have had only very few, and I really don't want to end up in a hospital, adding to the medical system's burden, these days.

With a TR4A project in the garage, I have no shortage of things to keep me busy. Also some real work (I work at home, which is now more convenient than ever!)

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Not only do we have Covid, Oklahoma has had crap weather, so the kids and I have been reading, watching movies and Star Trek reruns, and watching the rain. Yesterday we had a respite, after morning rains the sun came out and it warmed up into the sixties, so we went to the wildlife refuge for a picnic and a stroll in nature. Today the high is supposed to be in the 40s and it'll be overcast all day, back to the house.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
1. Give blood
2. Patronize local restaurants - even if it's only take out.
3. Running errands for our older friends (Compared to you, Tom, I'm a toddler :angel2:)

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
1. Give blood
2. Patronize local restaurants - even if it's only take out.
3. Running errands for our older friends (Compared to you, Tom, I'm a toddler :angel2:)

Bravo to you! Remember the Parable of the Long Spoons.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I run the tech department of a public school district, and the last seven days have been some of the most intense work days I've ever had. We pretty much turned our district (of just under 5000 kiddos) into an online school in those 7 days. Nuts.

Luckily our district has the resources to pulls this off (we were already 1-1 down to grade 2) but we were still making most of it up as we went along, with big swings as events unfolded. Luckily I've got a tremendous team who all stood up and got it done. Still, I'm mentally drained.

No complaints, though, as I've still got a job and a paycheck where many do not. Now I just need to figure out how to support all those students with tech and hardware issues when I can't see them in person and am not supposed to go into our offices where all our parts, tools, and loaners are. Interesting challenge for a new day. But not tonight. I'm thinking me and Jameson (or maybe Macallan) will be spending a few quality hours together tonight.

Tomorrow I'm taking a bit of time off to finish prepping a new transmission to go into the Morris. Nice, mechanical work to keep my mind from the worries.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Drew - that is a huge accomplishment. Congrats to you and your team - but get the aspirin ready when you start getting "help" messages from the end users!

Might be a few slowdowns ...

https://www.techrepublic.com/articl...width-issues-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic/

Heaven he'p us when family members decide to stream videos over the wi-fi, while the kids and teachers are trying to use new "distance learning" systems.

:scared:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Drew, that's great. The Oklahoma State Department of Education has shut down all public schools until April 6th, so my spring break has just become three weeks long.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
More than a few slowdowns, Tom. As a nation we are putting our infrastructure through an enormous test right now. I'm already planning the conversation I need to have with the city on the state of internet access. We're doing what we can but are struggling to be able to move fast enough to help families.

I also really feel for the vendors we use. Like us they are not set up to suddenly have a nationwide online school. I'm actually impressed that things are working as well as they are.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Drew - I'd imagine nearly every school system in the USA is struggling with the online learning concept now. Not just the hardware, but all the teachers who have to figure out how to use it - and wondering if the students at home are paying attention (or watching videos).

Thanks. And best wishes to you from a *retired!!!* network manager.
Tom M.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
We're trying to do what we can to keep learning going and keep some sense of normalcy for the students. We're certainly learning a bunch as well. When everything settles we'll have some day-to-day changes to make in our schools now that we're really starting to understand what the tech can do, and how to do it.

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We've been enjoying the lack of responsibilities so far. Wife and I participate in four performing groups two choirs, one band and one orchestra. The last month or so has been hectic so we're OK with all the rehearsals and performances being cancelled. We have done yard work, I cleaned the garage, started on the garden railroad, and figured out how to use the Roku. We've been rather selfish so far, next week we donate platelets. That is something that takes time but very little energy, and we get messages that some one is actually using what we have donated.