• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Difficult Electrical Problem in 59 BE with Generator

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
All:

I experienced the following electrical problem on my 59 BE with a generator:

When I turn the car on and start the engine everything is fine. When I begin to drive the fuel gauge needle begins shaking erratically. Simultaneously, the directional signal indicator gets really weak. As I go faster the fuel gauge goes to zero and the directional signals stop entirely. Stop the car and everything returns to normal.

I went under the dash and tightened everything. The fuel gauge bracket is tight and grounded on to the dash. Previously it was loose and it's lamp was flickering. I didn't find any other loose wires nor exposed wires.

The electrical system was operating fine until this afternoon. As I noted, when I have the car in the garage and parked, turn on the key - everything is fine. If I start the engine still everything is fine. When I begin to back out (increasing load on the engine) the fuel gauge begins jumping. However, while the car is stationary and I rev the engine, everything appears normal.

I live in Barbados. The environment is much like south Florida - high humidity. Add in horrible, washboard roads that shake the bee-jeezus out of the car.

I'd prefer not to drop the tank to check the ground wire.

Thoughts?

MXP

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You describe it as caused by the car actually moving. Sure sounds like a loose connection, could be a ground. I wouldn't first suspect the gauge ground wire since it affects your turn signals too. check the generator and regulator wires and the fuse box. Try turning on the headlights and see if that is affected too.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Check that regulator is adjusted properly. Might have to clean the regulator.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
It’s possible to break the wires connecting the external connection to the internal generator wiring by overtightening and not using two wrenches on the nut where the wires attach of the end of the generator. You could have twisted the wires and have a broken wire inside of generator?

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Not sure if the '59 had the ball and socket type connectors. I would hit them with Deoxit 5, a contact cleaner. If there is an inline fuse holder anywhere in the circuit, that can also be a trouble spot. I would also check the wire insulation for any wear or chafing. Even a little bit of exposed wire can cause an intermittent short. Those were the culprits when electrical gremlins started rearing their head on my '69.

OP
M

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks, everyone, for your assistance.

I believe I found the problem - there was a loose screw in the fuse block, one that secured a green wire on which included the fuel gauge. I tightened it down and it seems to have corrected the issue.

Thanks again,

MXP