• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hello! Happy to join-found good info here!

McI

Freshman Member
Country flag
I found this forum on the web looking for direction on undercoating. Plan is resto-mod for this '55 Healey, thanks in advance to the obviously very accomplished members!

Attachments

• IMG_1583.jpg
    IMG_1583.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1584.jpg
    IMG_1584.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 49
OP
M

McI

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks, HealeyRick. Yes, well, I'm hoping to return that front to stock. I know these panels are available new and used, but not sure which way to go. I have a stock used donor grille and shroud part but the shroud's in very poor condition. Grille is good.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Great project you have there "McI" - also, what year is that BMW bike? That looks pretty sweet too!

OP
M

McI

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks, "Basil". Car was my Dad's, I'd like to finish what he couldn't. I'm not the mechanic he was and I have many questions (pos grounding, 4-speed conversion, that awful grill mod, on and on), hoping for a lot of help from your very knowledgeable members. Bike is a '73 R75/5. I bought it as a total wreck on Craigslist and was able to restore it-came out ok, considering. Not many pics but here's one:

IMG_1934.jpg

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello and welcome to the forum.

On your undercoating question. I used POR-15 on bare metal. Wear gloves, that stuff does not come off.

David

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Make sure you are well ventilated to do POR-15. Don't work out of the can, vapors will mess you up. I had headaches for weeks. Follow the instructions. Good stuff though!

OP
M

McI

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hey there McI welcome to the forum - before you go too far with adapting the grille, I just got this in a Hemmings post - you may want to take a look at this - kind of lookms familiar

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/20...aily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-04-22
Hi JPSmit! It's three years later but I just wanted to say thanx for the heads up-interesting story. Mine may be similar but nowhere near as clean a job. Shroud was a similar item but install was a total bodge, so I've had it restored to original. Restoration is underway and I have many questions, so I will be posting regularly-stay tuned.