• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Front suspension / springs

Jayplum

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I am currently rebuilding the front suspension on my 57 TR3. Question came up on front springs. Seems there are several configurations applicable; with or without alloy spacer / original spring without spacer / upgraded spring without spacer.
While I appreciate a good handling car even just on back roads, I do not intend to push the limit or go racing. A solid ride with at least a modicum of comfort is ideal. (have not addressed the real leaf springs yet).
Any thoughts?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The original springs are plenty stiff enough, IMO, for all but the most rigorous racing. Whether to use the spacer or not depends on the spring you use; you can't just take out or add the spacer without changing springs to match. And the original springs need the spacer.

I did trim the spacers on my car by about 1/4", to lower the front suspension just a bit; but IMO you wouldn't want to go any farther than that as travel is very limited and hitting the stops really messes up the ride.

"Comfort" on this car is not beating your kidneys to a pulp. :smile:

OP
Jayplum

Jayplum

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Yeah, my kidneys are very familiar with the ride. Seems to me that the longer spring with no spacer would give the better ride and possibly more 'travel' in the front suspension. I don't want to much float in the front end but where is the balance?

The original springs are plenty stiff enough, IMO, for all but the most rigorous racing. Whether to use the spacer or not depends on the spring you use; you can't just take out or add the spacer without changing springs to match. And the original springs need the spacer.

I did trim the spacers on my car by about 1/4", to lower the front suspension just a bit; but IMO you wouldn't want to go any farther than that as travel is very limited and hitting the stops really messes up the ride.

"Comfort" on this car is not beating your kidneys to a pulp. :smile:

Snowkilts

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Seems to me that the longer spring with no spacer would give the better ride and possibly more 'travel' in the front suspension.

I did this last year and did not notice any difference, although TBH I drive much less and much more sedately than a lot of the folks on this forum. I also notice that the super-duper "Suplex" springs I bought from Moss for this purpose are no longer sold by them. I'm not sure why.

Initially the car was sitting up a bit higher as if the springs were too hard, but it seems to have settled. I have no complaints at this point, but if I were doing it again I would probably just go with replacement factory length springs.

Also beware of the GAZ shocks sold by some vendors as direct replacements for the TR3. They do not fit.

Edit: typo

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Maybe others have had different experiences. The limits of travel are defined by the stops (and frame, etc); my experience has been that even with the stock spring rate, you'll use all of it at least occasionally. So softer springs would just mean you hit the stops more often; trading a small increase in smoothness on a smooth road for even more "buckboard" effect when you hit a bump. The springs get nowhere near coil bind even with the spacer, so it has nothing to do with spring rate or ride stiffness.