• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oops on the tarmac

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Never a dull moment at the air museum. This morning a local FBO crew, and our museum restoration crew, moved the donated 1979 Rockwell Sabreliner from Bradley Airport to us at New England Air Museum.

Due to a minor miscalculation ... as it was being towed across from the field over to NEAM, the a/c got caught on the edge of Perimeter Road. Amazing - a heavy weight on a soft surface produces downward movement, especially when the tow vehicle driver tried to build up speed so he could "bump" the a/c up onto the pavement. Not a good idea.

one.jpg

After several hours of learning by experience, and some unusually colorful language, the crews got the a/c up onto the road, and then over to the NEAM parking lot.

two.jpg

The Sabreliner is now safely parked on outside the restoration hangar.

three.jpg

"Any landing you can walk away from ..."

Tom M.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And that explains Jet Lag.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
[qoute=TOC] Ah, carp. [/quote]

VERY close to the "last words" recovered on most voice recorders, just before a fatal crash. :smirk:

D

Deleted member 8987

[qoute=TOC] Ah, carp.

VERY close to the "last words" recovered on most voice recorders, just before a fatal crash. :smirk:
[/QUOTE]

"Love ya,Ma"

Used to work on early FDR's and CVR's....and the gummint would send them to us for evaluation and data recovery. When you see a bright orange FDR crunched on the back and bent in the middle, you think, initially, geez, minor fender bender...until you remember they are mounted INSIDE the tail.
Early CVR's were tape, with this coating on the outside that swelled up when hot (for additional thermal protection). Had to cut and carve it all off, retrieve the tape, splice if needed, set it up an first run through make a hard copy in case the tape didn't last more than one pass.
FDR's were stainless tape in cast magazine.....calibrated....set the tape up under a microscope and roll it through to get standard (single side) or deluxe (both side) parameters and log it all, with some idea of where you are in the flight when things happened.
Heading, altitude, airspeed on single plus something else. If double side, you had engines and flap settings. HAD to correlate that data with time in flight and what was said on the CVR.
SO much more detective and downright guesswork back then. But better that earlier with NOTHING!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Tom, Don't mean to crash your party, but I sent you a PM and not sure if you got it. If you are still involved with the museum here's my email, pgc161tf55@gmail.com, please email me when you have time. Paul

Never a dull moment at the air museum. This morning a local FBO crew, and our museum restoration crew, moved the donated 1979 Rockwell Sabreliner from Bradley Airport to us at New England Air Museum.

Due to a minor miscalculation ... as it was being towed across from the field over to NEAM, the a/c got caught on the edge of Perimeter Road. Amazing - a heavy weight on a soft surface produces downward movement, especially when the tow vehicle driver tried to build up speed so he could "bump" the a/c up onto the pavement. Not a good idea.

View attachment 62430

After several hours of learning by experience, and some unusually colorful language, the crews got the a/c up onto the road, and then over to the NEAM parking lot.

View attachment 62431

The Sabreliner is now safely parked on outside the restoration hangar.

View attachment 62432

"Any landing you can walk away from ..."

Tom M.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - check your sent PMs. When did you PM me? I have nothing in my Inbox here. I'll also send you a PM right now.
Thanks.
Tom M.