• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4 Fuel Gauge'"light bulb socket" type?

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
I'm ready to put a TR4A fuel gauge,fuel sending unit and resistor in my TR3. Tested it on the bench and works good.The light bulb holder on the 4A gauge is a 1"x3/8" metal tube with 3 slits in the side. Anyone know what type of socket and bulb fits in there.? It's a completely different set up on the TR3.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
In the Moss catalog there is a picture of what you are looking for. Unfortunately it says N/A. Item 78.

https://mossmotors.com/triumph-tr2-3-4/electrical-ignition/wiring-harnesses-misc-electrical.

If you have access to any old behind the dash wiring harness from a TR4-6 you would be able to find one of these. It takes the same screw in bulb as found in the TR3. The difference is that the outer case is solid and smooth . The bulb screws into the holder and then the holder slides into the tube you describe.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
It's a simple, cylindrical socket that takes a screw-base bulb. It just slides into that cylinder on the back of the instrument. Here is one picture, taken while I was installing my harness, showing a cluster of them; sorry, it's the best I have. The bulb was originally type 997; I'm using no. 1449, which is easier to find.
bulbs_2093.jpg

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
The bulb, admittedly the easy part, is a 12 volt e10 screw base, lots of options out there but you need one where the head or bulb part fits in the socket in the gauge.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Any idea where to get one?

Karl,
PM your address...I have one that I just tested and it’s a 2 wire style, just cut off the ground.
Rut

Attachments

• 1EBBAB4E-FB2B-47F5-883A-DD20D82C302A.jpg
    1EBBAB4E-FB2B-47F5-883A-DD20D82C302A.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 96

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Karl,
Just checking in to see if you received the bulb and bulb holder and to check on your progress.
Rut

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
Karl,
Just checking in to see if you received the bulb and bulb holder and to check on your progress.
Rut
Hi Rut I haven't received it yet but I'll let you know when it arrives. Canada Post can be slow once it gets to the border. Does the gauge on the TR4 just rely on the the ground at the sending unit? On the TR3 I've heard it's necessary to ground the gauge as well?
Karl

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Karl,
Im concerned about the affect that Covid 19 might have on packages crossing the boarder. If the gauge is grounded you can use the ground wire or use the gauge.
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Karl,
Looks like it’s scheduled to be delivered on March 25th...
Rut

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
That's OK I'm still tinkering around with the tie rod end and tie rod then I'll get to the gauge and bulb. Are you doing anything to your TR4?

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Karl,
Funny you should ask...I’m actually in the process of selling some of my cars. I’m at the age of freeing my family from some of my ‘hobbies’, LBCs, guns, etc. I currently have 2 TR6s, 1 TR4 short bulge, 4 TR4as, 1 MGB, 1 Bugeye and a 1975 IH Scout. I have 1 more resto/restomod left in me and that will be a TR4a and I’ll keep the Bugeye and MGB.
Good luck on your tie rod and tie rod ends!
Rut