• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bought Another One

ahealey1004

Congrats Reid! Sounds like an interesting car. I also enjoyed reading through your blog and have bookmarked it!

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I can't imagine why anyone would buy one of these cars let alone another...yes, I'm looking at a 2nd purchase. Both nice drivers.

BTW I will be following your blog.

Dale

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Look forward to seeing some pictures! We all know it is a sickness, buying more Healeys, but someone has to do it.
Regards
Mike Lewis

OP
Editor_Reid

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Look forward to seeing some pictures!

Here's the first batch of period photos, taken when the PO bought it in England in March 1962:

Place- London, England   Date- Tues. March 6, 1962 copy.jpg

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I am perhaps the only person left on the planet who likes fender mirrors, are the still there? Will they stay? Mounted a little farther forward than I have usually seen.

Getting back to more big picture stuff, the Healey 100 is a joy to look at and drive, congrats on acquiring another.

njunear

Freshman Member
Bronze
Country flag
Three........BT7-II -- 2005 Mitty.jpg

OP
Editor_Reid

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
The wing mirrors have already been removed by the PO.

This will be a very "sympathetic restoration" - a minimally invasive operation - and other than getting whatever mechanical work it needs to be safe and reliable, there will be repair of the minimal rust, then paint, and then it will mostly be a matter of careful clean-up. I think the interior will clean-up very well and it will have that irreplaceable patina we hear so much about. Even the Kar-Vel carpets look savable. The Armacord in the boot also looks very promising for just cleaning and re-install.

Being RHD is a novelty here in the USofA where there are so very few "right hookers," and the fact that it's got the Le Mans Kit apparently installed in period (prior to the PO's purchase in 1962), is also quite attractive. It was originally and will again be Carmine red with black trim and hood - a classic.

It also has an unusual after-market hardtop that will soon be for sale. You arrange packing and shipping, or pick it up in Hood River Oregon:
2.jpg
Yes, that's a Lotus Elite in the background. It's already sold.

OP
Editor_Reid

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Not quite the same, but similar concept--November 1962 Road and Track (also featuring The brand new MGB)
View attachment 62709

Yes, similar, but definitely different taillight treatment. Seems to be more like this one:

8A5310F6-2AEA-481D-9505-E6C3BA820784.jpeg

The rear-bumper overriders inversion is also distinctive to the Kellison, and period pix of this acquisition also feature inverted overriders.

The hardtop is for sale!

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I used to have the brochure for the Acme top and it comes with cut outs for the original taillights. You only needed to remove the boot lid and reinstall it on the removable top. The car in the photo had been customized to relocate the lights to the fenders. They probably used some custom lenses also.
I wanted to buy one for my BT7, but as a college student is 1963, the $329 was just to dear. It is a cool look.
A year or so ago, i sent the brochure to a fellow who had just purchased an Acme top.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
My first car was almost Kellison bodied Corvette which was languishing in the back of a service station somewhere around Ogallala, NE. Somehow my 15 year old self couldn't figure out why my dad didn't want to flat tow a derelict race car a few hundred miles home. But that is another story for another time.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Mirrors out on the wings is the only way to go--no turning head and I can scan from left to right merely by moving my eyeballs.
No one knows what I am looking at....