• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Weird Day Yesterday

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I had Saturday off,& decided I'd drive down to North Carolina,
(about a 3 hour drive)to see some Friends.It was supposed to be clear-
& sunny.
When I got up it was clear here (at 6AM).Drove about 15 minutes
West of here,& it started snowing.I went down Interstate 81,where I saw
a few accidents,& a tractor trailer rig on it's side.
There was a VA State Trooper on the left shoulder,where a pickup
looked like it had rolled.About then,I hit ice,& spun.I thought I avoided
hitting anything,when the right front of my truck hit the retaining wall.Not
wanting to stay there,in case another vehicle spun,I continued on,as there
was no indication of shaking on the front end.
When I stopped,I checked out the truck.This is what I saw -

View attachment 62416

Sometimes you get lucky - I just replaced the left front headlight surround.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Doug - glad you're ok. We get that "weird" weather here often ... so I guess it's not weird for us!

Funny thing I saw a year back, dozens of us Yankees at an outdoor garden center, buying up flowers and vegetables ... and it was snowing. Hope springs eternal.

Drive safe! And now since you've already done the left headlight, you're an expert for working on the right.
Tom M.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Sounds like you ran into freezing ran or black ice.

Driving up to NC from Georgia some years ago the forecast was for freezing rain later in the day. Everything went well till I got north of Columbia SC when I noticed the tire sound had changed. Then a pickup gong the other way on the interstate started spinning like a top. The interstate was a sheet of ice. The rest of the drive was a done between 20 and 30 MPH. Could not count the number of SUVs in the ditch. It took a long time to get to my destination and the next morning I found that the interstate was closed and my car door were frozen shut with a 1/2" layer of ice.
Freezing rain is bad news.

David

Country flag
Hey at least it wasn't like the news footage of the houses along Lake Erie. Wouldn't have wanted to wake up in the morning and seen that outside..

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hey at least it wasn't like the news footage of the houses along Lake Erie. Wouldn't have wanted to wake up in the morning and seen that outside..

Grew up spending summers on Lakefront, in Geneva-on-the-Lake. Once in a while would go there in the winter months, I've seen the Lake in February look like the surface of the Moon.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Glare ice is just plain evil. Seems to be most prevalent in NC, SC and VA. Light rain then a freeze.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Glare ice is one I haven't heard before. Is it the same as black ice? That one we get fairly often here when just a little moisture freezes on an otherwise dry road causing unexpected and dangerous patches of slick road.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
No this is rain that is below freezing temperature that freezes on contact. Coats everything it hits with layer of clear ice. Sidewalks, steps roads and vehicles. I got back to my car in a an airport parking lot and could not get into my car as it was frozen over. Finally got the passenger side door open as it was on the sheltered side.

David

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Not good for LBC's either!

mgbice.jpg