Thread: 1962 3000 Hood/Bonnet Grille

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

1962 3000 Hood/Bonnet Grille

i am trying to get my surround and grill in the bonnet fitting properly. if i just mount the surround, it fits fine. when i add the grill and take up the nuts it twists my surround. Not much but i have some scratches on the side of the scoop that i want the surround to cover... and it does if it fits right.

Looked at the Moss breakdown today and it shows a packing washer that goes between the grill and the surround. (i assume under the hood metal) it does not give a size for the washer. i assume that is my issue with keeping everything fitting properly.

would anyone remember the size of that washer? inside diameter and thickness?

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Re: 1962 3000 Hood/Bonnet Grille

Make sure you use a fibre/plastic/stainless washer . Fibre would be my first choice just regular washer size to fit the stud should work .
    "If it aint broke ....dont fix it "
    " Thats not an oil leak ..........its a special automatic British rustproofing system "
    Best Healey in show ABCD Ottawa 2013
    Best Healey in Show Boot n Bonnett Kingston 2013

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

But how thick is it?
    and does it fit in the grill slot or to it?
    thanks

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The fiber rectangular washer goes onto the stud first, and is above the slotted holes. The inner grill goes in from below, covering the lower raised flange of the bonnet opening. Then attach with flat metal washer, lock washer, and nut. Do not over tighten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Thanks again.
    hate to keep beating a dead horse but I feel like the thickness of that fiber washer is important. Which is why I ask. Maybe it isn’t a big deal and I am over thinking it.
    But just want to confirm.
    I was thinking of running a nut up in there before pulling up the grill. Would not only give me a spacer but keep from pulling on the surround stud when tightening.
    thoughts?

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

These things are a bit delicate, so it's good to see your cautious approach. I could be wrong, but the main reason for the fiber washer between the chrome surround and the hood/bonnet may be to protect the paint below from chipping or scratching. A nut may be too thick, unless you grind it to a very thin profile first. A small metal washer might serve the same purpose as the fiber washer, except that you run a greater risk of damaging the paint with a metal washer. A small O-ring also likely would work. You seem to understand the importance of not overtightening the nuts, as the studs do separate from the chrome quite easily. If you need to tweak the shape of the chrome surround (they don't always fit great), do the test fitting before installing the nuts.