• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Latest Bicycle Project

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I've been a volunteer with the local park police for over 12 years. Last year, I was asked to helped a patrol officer who was tasked with reforming the department's bike squad to help survey the bike fleet. I was a bit stunned to come across a mid-90s police bike with a 7 speed drivetrain and cantilever brakes. Clearly, this bike was obsolete. As the Department's historian, I put in a request to have this bike transferred to me for preservation. It took 8 months, but last November, I took possession of the bike. It was in pretty sorry shape. I did a complete nut and bolt restoration on it, including brand new decals. Also found the bike was the first actual police bicycle purchased by the department, previous bikes being civilian models used to prove the feasibility of bicycle patrols. I even located the officer the bike was originally assigned to. Really fun project. I plan on showing it at Emergency Vehicle Shows this year once I get some of the period-correct on bike equipment for it.

DSC_8149a.jpg

1995 - Bike 904.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Nicely done! Really like seeing these kinds of efforts.

Just started a similar bkie project here. Not a "historic" value, rather a personal one. Mitsy's 10-speed Schwinn "World Traveler" is first up, next is my Raleigh "Supercourse-II." Decided we needed to get 'em off the hooks inna garage and start riding again. And there's a Puch sitting in the background awaiting its turn.

EDIT: Always thought it would be a challenge to build a one-off, have had the "Proteus" book on the shelf for decades now. Never got up the money/time/effort to do one.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I rebuilt my wife's 1960s Sears girls bike. She rode it once, now hanging.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Two years ago I took my Bianchi out of the basement after a 15 year sleep. I’ve been riding it since. Next up for resto is my wife’s 32 year old Panasonic bike... Yes, they actually made them.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Two years ago I took my Bianchi out of the basement after a 15 year sleep. I’ve been riding it since. Next up for resto is my wife’s 32 year old Panasonic bike... Yes, they actually made them.

:thumbsup:

What gearset on the Bianchi, Elliot? Campi?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:thumbsup:

What gearset on the Bianchi, Elliot? Campi?
Doc,
I looked and looked but could not find a name on the gears. The shifter is a Shimano Altus C10. I love my Bianchi Avenue!

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Nicely done! Really like seeing these kinds of efforts.

Just started a similar bkie project here. Not a "historic" value, rather a personal one. Mitsy's 10-speed Schwinn "World Traveler" is first up, next is my Raleigh "Supercourse-II." Decided we needed to get 'em off the hooks inna garage and start riding again. And there's a Puch sitting in the background awaiting its turn.

EDIT: Always thought it would be a challenge to build a one-off, have had the "Proteus" book on the shelf for decades now. Never got up the money/time/effort to do one.

Schwinns are a lot of fun to work on. I had both a Collegiate Sport and a World Sport when I was younger. I've rebuilt a number of them over the years. Schwinns were always well engineered and rugged as heck. A well designed bike is always so much easier to work on than a cheapo bike. Even older American made Huffy bikes are usually well designed. The modern box store bikes are just pure crap. I won't touch them.

I've built a couple of bikes from the frame up. I've rebuilt a 2001 Trek 8500 twice -- first build was as a rigid fork singlespeed mountain bike. Plantar fasciitis killed my ability to ride singlespeed, so I rebuilt it as an old-school geared hardtail with a front suspension fork. It's a pretty rugged bike, although it's heavier than my 29er mountain bike, so I only use it as a spare, or in conditions that are too harsh for the 29er, such as less than 25 degrees where the mineral oil in the hydraulic brakes congeals. I put a set of 2.4 inch wide tires on the bike. It rolls over anything, but it's made the bike heavy and slow. I'll probably put some thinner rubber on later this year.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
The big difference between bikes and cars is that, with some notable exceptions, a vintage bike really offers no advantages over a modern one in terms of the riding experience. There was a period of tremendous technological advances from the 1990s through the end of the 00s, both in terms of componentry and frame design. The last decade has seen improvements, but starting to hit the point of diminishing returns. The biggest advance was the use of disc brakes, both cable actuated and hydraulic, on bicycles. They are superior in their power and modulation when compared to rim brake bikes.

One of the "distractions" that kept me away from BCF was that I have been writing a semi-monthly column called "Gears and Gadgets" for the International Police Mountain Bike Association, and then was invited to be part of the editorial team putting together the 3rd edition of the Complete Guide to Public Safety Cycling, which is considered the world wide bible for all police / fire / ems and security cyclists. It really gave me an opportunity to study bicycles and bicycling in a manner that I had never experienced previously.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"One of the "distractions" that kept me away from BCF was that I have been writing a semi-monthly column called "Gears and Gadgets" for the International Police Mountain Bike Association, and then was invited to be part of the editorial team putting together the 3rd edition of the Complete Guide to Public Safety Cycling, which is considered the world wide bible for all police / fire / ems and security cyclists. It really gave me an opportunity to study bicycles and bicycling in a manner that I had never experienced previously."

Bravo to you! Those are good distractions!

Tom M.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
There are 3 bikes in my under the house garage. Original Schwinn Le Tour 10 speed (mine-like new. never did fit me. Frame too big.), a 5-speed whatever - ladies (my wife's) and a Hutch BMX bike (my son's) on a stand, converted to an (unused) exercise bike. None have been ridden in years. Would like to sell or give them away. The Schwinn is a very desirable bike I'm told. Like new, but tire sidewalls alligatored and shot.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Our two hybrids, bought around 1990 - my Trek Antelope 800 and SWMBO's Schwinn Woodlands - are hanging in the garage. Need to get them down and back on the road/trail before we're too old to enjoy them. So many areas around here to explore, and right here in Townsend we have a great bike/walking path.

I rode mine just about every day while in seminary, back and forth to classes. And several times rode it down Alto Road from Sewanee to the bottom of Monteagle Mountain. What a workout! As I recall, it took five or six minutes to coast down, and I gradually worked my way up to around 25 minutes to pedal back up. Don't think I could do that now!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mickey - I googled Monteagle Mountain. Looks like a *great* place for hiking and biking. I finally gave away my bike last year. Feeling my age, and living in a valley where every direction is "up" got the better of me.

OK - shuffling and hobbling back to the coffee pot.
Tom M.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Indeed! The "Goat Trail" is an old narrow-gauge railroad bed that was in use back during the mining days. Now it's a gravel-surfaced trail that is perfect for mountain bikes. One part I remember passes near one of the vertical shafts that I was told were dug/dynamited down to a lower level and then the workers dug laterally to make a tunnel for the trains to run along the valley floor.

But again, plenty of trails nearby to keep us busy - just have to get motivated!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
SaxMan said:
The big difference between bikes and cars is that, with some notable exceptions, a vintage bike really offers no advantages over a modern one in terms of the riding experience. There was a period of tremendous technological advances from the 1990s through the end of the 00s, both in terms of componentry and frame design. The last decade has seen improvements, but starting to hit the point of diminishing returns. The biggest advance was the use of disc brakes, both cable actuated and hydraulic, on bicycles. They are superior in their power and modulation when compared to rim brake bikes.

I've not kept up with cycling advances, as evidenced by the bikes mentioned in my prior post. And the Plantar issue is the reason for the renewed interest in getting them back into usable shape. Walking or running as exercise are off the list for now. This Schwinn is indeed a stout machine, witstood the static storage much better than the Raleigh. That one needs a crankset replacement, it was worn out when it got put up on the hooks. Finding replacements has proven to be a bit problematic, too.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
There are 3 bikes in my under the house garage. Original Schwinn Le Tour 10 speed (mine-like new. never did fit me. Frame too big.), a 5-speed whatever - ladies (my wife's) and a Hutch BMX bike (my son's) on a stand, converted to an (unused) exercise bike. None have been ridden in years. Would like to sell or give them away. The Schwinn is a very desirable bike I'm told. Like new, but tire sidewalls alligatored and shot.

The LeTour is fairly sought after, but the vintage bicycle market is very soft, as I learned trying to sell a '71 Schwinn Super Sport. The 27" gumwall tires are still pretty easy to come by. The Hutch is a pretty well known BMX brand, and might generate some interest from old school BMX riders. Worst case, there are places you can donate used bikes, too.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
SaxMan probably a little hard to give that one up but great effort that will carry forward.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My daughter just rides a cheapo walmart bike because she is still growing but I still ride my old Schwinn Varsity that I've had for nearly thirty years. It is a great bike and the only new things on it are the Shimano handle bars, rims and rear gears, and the later Schwinn seat it sports after the original pretty much fell apart. Basically I have just done enough work to keep it running well, the new Shimano gears also make it a twelve speed instead of ten. The only reason it has newish wheels is that the original steel wheels had started to rust out around the spokes (it always lived outside), also the newer rims make finding tires that fit much easier. I never thought about restoring it but now I kinda think I should tear it down all the way and at least put a fresh coat of paint on it.