• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I'll take This Can't Be Good for $200, Alex.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I pulled off my right side brake drum tonight and one of the adjuster springs fell out. One end was sheared off. I'm thinking if one went bad, maybe I should go and replace all the springs. Only thing I can't seem to figure out is where they hook up. I believe they connect the two pads together? Pads look to be in good shape otherwise, with plenty of wear left. I decided to replace the drums and rotors this winter, as the car is probably overdue for them to be replaced.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
probably not ideal but, in the general scheme of things springs are cheap and easy. Here is a picture of mine from many moons ago. It was used as the reference for a number of projects. you can see where they connect. IIRC it was much easier to connect the springs and then lever the shoes in place than the other way around.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10772705@N05/1122382070/in/photostream/

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
That's how I did it as well JP. Both Shoes, they are pointed different directions on each wheel and on each side of the axle. Springs attached, adjusters loose, and simply pried into place with a big screwdriver. Springs are cheap, replace both. Double check while you are in there that Wheel Cylinders and Axle Seals are not leaking.Good luck.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks, JP and Jim.

I can see what you mean about hooking up the springs first. Looks like trying to do the opposite would be difficult. I ordered a whole set of springs. I first went to VB, but they had them on backorder (!), so I ended up purchasing from Moss. It cost of a little bit more, but I really didn't want to wait for the backorder. Once the brakes are done, all I have to do is set the carbs and the car will be ready for another season.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Parts came in -- just in time for me to get laid up for a week with Shingles, of all things. Haven't turned a wrench in over week. Did a little bit of light work tonight with one of the bikes.

With Coronavirus shutting down just about every outside activitiy for my daughter and schools in Maryland closed starting March 16th, at this point, I'm just going to repair the rear brakes, button everything up, and get to the rest of the maintenance a bit down the road. I've done all the vitals -- fluids, filters, plugs, etc. All that was left on the punch list were upgrades.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sorry to hear about the shingles. That can be pretty unpleasant.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Parts came in -- just in time for me to get laid up for a week with Shingles, of all things. Haven't turned a wrench in over week. Did a little bit of light work tonight with one of the bikes.

With Coronavirus shutting down just about every outside activitiy for my daughter and schools in Maryland closed starting March 16th, at this point, I'm just going to repair the rear brakes, button everything up, and get to the rest of the maintenance a bit down the road. I've done all the vitals -- fluids, filters, plugs, etc. All that was left on the punch list were upgrades.

Sorry to hear about the shingles indeed! SWMBO just got the vaccine and has been pestering me to get mine (I had already decided to) but completely dropped off the radar with the Covid-19 stuff. feel better!

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Sorry to hear about the shingles indeed! SWMBO just got the vaccine and has been pestering me to get mine (I had already decided to) but completely dropped off the radar with the Covid-19 stuff. feel better!

Thank you. As soon as this clears, I'm getting the vaccine. Do not want to go through with this again. I had it on the face from the tip of my jaw, running up the nerve past my ear and up to the scalp.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That's a bad place to have it. I got a VERY mild case on the face a few years ago. Doctor had to watch it very closely. If it spreads to an eye blindness can easily result.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Back to brakes -- managed to screw up my first attempt at it pretty royally. It looks like attaching the spring and then mounting the shoes is the correct order. While trying to pull one of the shoes back to seat it on the wheel cylinder using a screwdriver, I actually pulled the metal piece with the ceramic clean off the rest of the shoe. After I sat there in disgust for a bit, I decided to button things up and get ready to order parts. That evening, I checked my parts pile and found a new set of rear drum shoes that I obviously ordered previously. So, I'll take another stab at it. I think my issue was mounting the forward shoe and trying to seat the rear shoe -- and it may be easier going vice versa? I've never messed with drum brakes in any car before, so this is a bit new to me.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
So you need to assemble brakes with both springs attached. Hold one in each hand and work them into place. It seems impossible but trying to connect individual brake springs is the impossible bit.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Got the brakes in. It was a bigger pain that it should have been, but it's done. I also learned that you don't press the brake pedal when you have no brake shoes attached to the wheel cylinders. Fortunately, I caught my mistake before I made too huge of a mess or allowed any air to enter the brake lines.

Now just need to fire the car up and get the carburetor dialed in. I'll wait on the front brakes for a bit.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Back to brakes -- managed to screw up my first attempt at it pretty royally... While trying to pull one of the shoes back to seat it on the wheel cylinder using a screwdriver, I actually pulled the metal piece with the ceramic clean off the rest of the shoe... found a new set of rear drum shoes that I obviously ordered previously. So, I'll take another stab at it.

You are a funny guy, glad you kept your sense of humor. I usually attach the springs on the top or bottom, whichever seems to make more sense, slip the shoes on, then persuade the second spring on with a needle nosed vice grips or similar.