• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dirk Pitt mourns

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Have an autographed "Atlantus Found" - met him at a Hastings in Albuquerque a few years back (ok, several years back). He was also a classic car lover. RIP Clive Cussler

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Saw this earlier today. Read everything he has written and waiting on the new ones to come out.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Saw this earlier today. Read everything he has written and waiting on the new ones to come out.

Don't think I've read everything, but quite a few. The Movie "Sahara", based on one of his books, is a lot of fun; if you haven't seen it, I recommend it.

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I catch just about every time I see it on. The move Raise the Titanic is what got me to read his books.

Country flag
I think it was my first as well, but couldn't stand the movie. Too much removed from the overall story and it basically ended in the middle of the book. Was the sort of thing that would have been better as a 8 part or so mini series on the scale of what Netflix or Amazon or others are doing today.

Last book he personally worked on supposed to be out in March the story I saw said.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Oh wow, I didn't know this. Cussler was one of my favorite modern authors, he was really good at striking the right balance between adventure, plot, and realism.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
A few of my Cussler books (have some others stashed away somewhere)

Cussler.jpg

Country flag
Kinda like some movie directors he seemed to love adding that little "walk on" part where he'd ask what the protagonists were up to, offer a few words of advice or other observation, and walk off.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Kinda like some movie directors he seemed to love adding that little "walk on" part where he'd ask what the protagonists were up to, offer a few words of advice or other observation, and walk off.

Mike, remember Hitchcock's 1963 "The Birds"? Look who's walking out of the pet shop as the movie begins:

The-Birds-1.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Speaking of cameos, Stan Lee did it as well.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
He was the one that first came to mind when I wrote that. I know others have too, but he seems to be first to make a habit of it..

He didn't always appear in person. For example, in "Rope" it was only his outline (profile) that appeared as a neon sign outside the apartment window. In "Dial M for Murder" he is seen in a photograph.

Country flag
true, I should have been more specific that he would almost always do something in the background to remind you of him, not just literally walk through a scene.