• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Parts gathering for the S-3 Elan

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Will be bringing the wee beastie home in a couple weeks. A body-off plan in the works... "Let the Games Begin!"

Assembling the list. Rimmer looks to be the go-to for headlight and turn signal switches, early Spitfire bits!

The pile begins to enlarge.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Original S-3, acquired in 1972. Was my daily driver for over a couple decades, would alternate between it and the +2. Both have suffered frame damage and been dormant too long. Spent too many years restoring Other People's Cars! Now it's MY turn.

THX, Steve. I've been "casing" the FB Lotus groups, even know a couple of the posters there. Makes the planet a bit smaller, IYSWIM. :wink:

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
Original S-3, acquired in 1972. Was my daily driver for over a couple decades, would alternate between it and the +2. Both have suffered frame damage and been dormant too long. Spent too many years restoring Other People's Cars! Now it's MY turn.

I am rearing the same point in my life. I am glad for you. Let me know if you need anything brought over.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I am rearing the same point in my life. I am glad for you. Let me know if you need anything brought over.

We'll talk soon, sir. I appreciate the offer.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Paul Matty Sports Cars from my old stomping ground is a really good parts source, as well. Been Lotus dealers forever, and have an excellent reputation. In addition, the exchange rate of dollars to the pound is currently in your favour.

I'm in the midst of putting my Plus 2 back in order or at least trying to do the same. The good news is that the exchange is very favorable right now. The bad is that most suppliers are working on a very limited basis if at all. Phone was by far the best if way to contact the usual UK Lotus suppliers even before COVID restrictions. Email is hit or miss and mostly miss, at least with me.

Dave Bean in California was still at least taking orders last I knew.

As hinted in the original post, the majority of my replacement parts have come from Triumph suppliers.

Good luck with the S 3 DrE, it's a gem.

Tom

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Will be bringing the wee beastie home in a couple weeks. A body-off plan in the works... "Let the Games Begin!"

Assembling the list. Rimmer looks to be the go-to for headlight and turn signal switches, early Spitfire bits!

The pile begins to enlarge.

There does not seem to be a lot of activity on this forum, nor is there much going on parts wise in the UK, so I decided to continue this topic with my experience. I've placed an order with Autosparks and it looks like it might be shipped as much as 10 weeks after Covid 19 restrictions are lifted. Also same with Paul Matty but at least Matty has the my parts on the shelf so I assume that will be shipped as soon as restrictions are lifted. US suppliers seem to be answering the phone and RD Enterprises shipped my small order the same day. The down side is that the US suppliers get some if not most of their inventory from the UK so if they don't have it on the shelf, they are of little help. On the positive side, I've not come close to running out of projects, even without replacement parts. (I just finished the new veneer for the dash. Pic below)
As for the Triumph stuff, my car has a TR6 column locking type ignition switch as well as Triumph Rotoflex joints and most of the Triumph suppliers here are shipping orders.
Hope things are all well with you.
Tom
dash2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Tom, your link to the dashboard doesn't work. I'd love to see how it looks.

Is it a toggle or rocker switch dash? I sourced the font style for the rocker labeling, have it somewhere in a pile of old data. Will get a sign shop to cut all in thin RTA vinyl when the time comes.

I'm still at the garage clearing/painting stage. Have MANY parts on-hand. Want to get this show on the road!

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
My car has the rocker switches. RD Enterprises in Quakertown PA has the set of labels and very reasonable. I should get mine soon and will post or email a picture.
I uploaded the dash pic again but can't tell if it works. If you want to PM your email I'll send you that picture too.

Although I've done a lot of woodworking, the dash was my first veneer project. It is not perfect and I'd do a few things differently next time, if there is a next time. Good enough for now. I'd be happy to post that experience if you or anyone is interested.

Tom

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My car has the rocker switches. RD Enterprises in Quakertown PA has the set of labels and very reasonable. I should get mine soon and will post or email a picture.
I uploaded the dash pic again but can't tell if it works. If you want to PM your email I'll send you that picture too.

Although I've done a lot of woodworking, the dash was my first veneer project. It is not perfect and I'd do a few things differently next time, if there is a next time. Good enough for now. I'd be happy to post that experience if you or anyone is interested.

VERY interested. Maybe you can give us pointers. The photo posted, it looks really nice.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
VERY interested. Maybe you can give us pointers. The photo posted, it looks really nice.

I started a new thread: "Replacing walnut veneer on the dash".