• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Today's Sanitation Alert

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
[you're welcome - LOL]

There is an amusing letter to/from “Dr. Know” (funny guy) in the current issue of a local newspaper. I couldn't find a link to it, so here's something similar instead (from a few years back). Same theme.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/06/reusable-grocery-bag-germs/4341739/

The gist of the column is that many,even most, re-usable grocery bags were contaminated with coliform bacteria.Yes, these are the same things rolling along the top of the conveyer at yourlocal market… handled by the cashier that is handling your vegetables. Wash allyou want, but you’re up against all the others in the population of unwashedmasses. Oh, those tired, poor bags yearning to breathe free.

My trip to the store will never be the same. Perhaps I canask a fellow shopper “do you know where that bag has been.” I shall await with baited(perhaps masked or held) breath.
:playful:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Omigosh! You mean that if I put foods inside the bag, the bag will eventually get contaminated?

Ah, remember the olden days, when we used paper bags for groceries, and recycled the bags unless they were dirty.

sigh

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The moral being to wash your food before eating it (especially if it doesn't get cooked thoroughly). Manure makes great fertilizer, very popular with the "organic" crowd, but anything fertilized with it is likely to wind up with coliform bacteria. You can buy "sterile" manure at the store, but most farms don't bother with the extra hassle and expense.

Washing those bags once in awhile isn't bad either.

Your own body is pretty well covered with coliform bacteria anyway; the good news is that almost all of it is perfectly harmless. It's just a handy test for possible fecal contamination (see fertilizer above).

BTW, we still reuse paper bags. They just aren't free anymore. Plastic too, but they don't come from the grocery store.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Yes, coliform bacteria is everywhere... but to varying degrees. All I know is that I'll never look at that conveyor-belt the same again. :excitement:

I'm now wondering about the inexpensive semi-disposable bags. Can they really be washed... or just tossed once-in-a-while?
In Portland (not sure about the rest of Oregon), stores must now CHARGE for a paper-bag (10 cents), and plastic is banned.

Of course, with all this, I'm not worried about me. I'm worried about THAT OTHER guy. LOL

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Randall said:
Your own body is pretty well covered with coliform bacteria anyway; the good news is that almost all of it is perfectly harmless. It's just a handy test for possible fecal contamination (see fertilizer above).

Read an article a while back about finding fecal residue in most kitchens, on food prep surfaces... scared th' beegeezus outta me. Soap and peroxide have become close pals with our kitchen.

Mark said:
Of course, with all this, I'm not worried about me. I'm worried about THAT OTHER guy. LOL

Valid concern! The invisible contamination... "Out dammed spot!"

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The next time you're at the local supermarket, grab a cart from the parking lot and preferably one that's been sitting in the sun. The U.V emissions from the sun can reduce pathogen count in a very short period of time and as a result lower the risk of exposure to harmful microbes.

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Think about the little baby seat on the carts and then put your consumable groceries on it after that dirty diaper was sitting there.