• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A human computer

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks, and Rest in Peace, to Katherine Johnson, an inspiration for others - and a necessity for John Glenn.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/katherine-johnson-biography

KJohnson.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A true American Hero. Tremendous contributions with scant recognition until recently.

Vaya Con Dios, dear lady.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Godspeed.

I think we'll take the day today to discuss her and her fellows today in my Black History class.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Some people come into the world programmed with a Super Power. It may be math, music or some other power. Then it is often chance if they get to use that power.

Sounds like a movie worth watching.

David

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
It was a very good movie, do see it. On 60 Minutes last Sunday they had a segment on a 11(?) year old blind piano player who is one of the people with a Super Power. Very interesting segment.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Some people come into the world programmed with a Super Power. It may be math, music or some other power. Then it is often chance if they get to use that power.

Sounds like a movie worth watching.

David

Most certainly worth seeing.

I spent three years at Langley, the airbase. The NASA facility abutted the base. They had a "visitor's center' we spent many hours in. I didn't know then ('70~'73) about the 'computers'. Wish I had, I may have been brazen enough to approach NASA for access and a photo story.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
One company I worked at did some work for CERN in Europe. We were making some of the magnets for one of their up grades to the "Ring" Thinking back it was an exciting time to work there. Some of the magnets were 12' long 3' square and made up in 4 sections. They were assembled standing on end and had to have a curve built in so that when they were laid down they were straight to some ridiculous tolerance. In the thousandths over the 12' length if I remember correctly. The coils were 1 1/4" by 3/4 " copper with cooling water running through the coil.
I have some photos somewhere.

We were told that CERN had a guy on staff who was a math savant. He would check out their computers by setting them problems that he solved in his head faster than the computer. He explained one day that the computer had to do the computation sequencely while did it in parallel so it was easy to beat it.
He had to be brought to work every day as he would probable not have found his way there without help.

The brain is an incredible thing.

David