• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

We all should be dead

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected."

Amen.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I guess we were a pretty tough bunch.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I can't see it.

Country flag
When I started school my parents took me once or twice, to be sure I knew the way. After that I was expected to walk the half mile or so myself, be on time and not get killed coming or going. All the kids ni that neighborhood walked each way, made friends, or not, and were independent children. Then when we moved out into the country, got a 22 rifle when I was about 10, explored the fields round the house and down to the local creek, walked the railrod tracks, and didn't have to be told to get out of the way of the trains. So by the time I finished college I was ready to be out and independent. In fact had no qualms about moved from the midwest to Los Angles for a time and later moving back. Had no need to be supported financially as I learned to live within MY means, or to be supported for a frail emotional state when the world wasn't what I wanted it to be.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
You probable put pennies on the railroad track and stood back a few feet as the train rolled over them. Knew enough not to get too close. No warning labels on the track.

David

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
When I started school my parents took me once or twice, to be sure I knew the way. After that I was expected to walk the half mile or so myself, be on time and not get killed coming or going. All the kids ni that neighborhood walked each way, made friends, or not, and were independent children. Then when we moved out into the country, got a 22 rifle when I was about 10, explored the fields round the house and down to the local creek, walked the railrod tracks, and didn't have to be told to get out of the way of the trains. So by the time I finished college I was ready to be out and independent. In fact had no qualms about moved from the midwest to Los Angles for a time and later moving back. Had no need to be supported financially as I learned to live within MY means, or to be supported for a frail emotional state when the world wasn't what I wanted it to be.

Most of that sounds familiar! Western PA woods, 22 rifle from youth, being guided to personal responsibility and independence from an early age. No clue how some of the latest generations' "vulnerable" are going to ever be self-sufficient.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, forgot about going out in the sun without sunscreen, chemistry sets and lawn darts! I walked to school with my sister I was 6 she was 8, crossed the busy street, no lights or crosswalks.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Gol dern young folks!

Back in my day, we had to walk through six feet of snow, uphill all the way, just to get to school. Had to walk uphill through the snow to get home too. And that was summer.

No cafeterias, just paper bag lunches - but we couldn't afford food, so we just ate the paper bags.

Couldn't afford oxygen, so we had to breathe pure nitrogen.

It was rough back then.

curmudgeon.jpeg

OP
M

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Gol dern young folks!

Back in my day, we had to walk through six feet of snow, uphill all the way, just to get to school. Had to walk uphill through the snow to get home too. And that was summer.

No cafeterias, just paper bag lunches - but we couldn't afford food, so we just ate the paper bags.

Couldn't afford oxygen, so we had to breathe pure nitrogen.

It was rough back then.

View attachment 62329
Let me guess, your water was recycled through someones' or somethings' kidneys.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Let me guess, your water was recycled through someones' or somethings' kidneys.

Water? We didn't have no stinkin' water - we had to squeeze rocks when we were thirsty. I wanted to mash them with a hammer, but couldn't afford a hammer, so had to use my head.

Life was tough!

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
ROFLMAO Yes, I remember those days.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Back in those days you learned what hurt and what didn't. Did something stupid and got hurt, you were told to suck it up. Parents are letting kids get soft. Give them something when they have a tantrum insteaad of the old smack on the butt. Then lawyers got on it. Now you get sent to your room with a comfortable bed, tv, computer and phone. I do miss the old days, people were better and you knew your neighbors and were treated like family.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I miss wandering around with my .22 and killing rats around the barn.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mike - that Python video is priceless. Thanks for posting it.

From Freeman's 1907 "School of Hellas", describing Greece over 2000 years ago.

" They make their boy's feet soft by giving him shoes, and pamper his body with changes of clothes ; they also allow him as much food as his stomach can contain." Children began to be the tyrants, not the slaves, of their households. They no longer rose from their seats when an elder entered the room ; they contradicted their parents, chattered before company, gobbled up the dainties at table, and committed various offences against Hellenic tastes, such as crossing their legs. They tyrannised over the paidagogoi and schoolmasters."

Ah the good ol' days, when I was but a lad.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
No Little league with screaming, scheming parents. We chose up sides, even had a neighborhood baseball and football team that played other reighborhood teams. My cousin Bob was the manager because he had a "heart condition". He's still alive at 88. I rode a Schwinn bike without a helmet and survived 2 bad crashes. I walked to elementary school up and down a steep hill. Charley and I played "tree experts", climbing trees with tool belts and swinging from a vine in his backyard over a small ravine.

Country flag
Society now wants to protect kids from all the errors and disappointments they endured growing up. So everyone gets praised for participating, shielded from failure and generally doesn't learn that the wider world isn't going to care if they succeed or not. growing up my brothers and I were expected to clean and mow during the summer, clean the walk and driveway when it snowed and work to bring home good grades from school. I didn't spend my summers sitting in a chair in front of a screen, I mowed lawns when young and worked in a factory almost from the minute I came home from college each summer till the weekend I left to go back. That isn't a complaint, it taught me what life was about and what I needed to do during however many years I was to have to provide for myself and any others. Comes I think from having parents who were depression era children and grandparents who were depression era parents who struggled to provide then.