Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We all should be dead

The Pub is: Forum to generally shoot the breeze. It is NOT: a debate forum (NO Politics, religion, or controversial topics.) Keep it clean, fun and lite!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Re: We all should be dead

Yep, we did not have a screen until 1956 and B&W. If we did not learn to work in the yard or something during high school and college we would not be on this forum as we would not have little British cars that we worked for.
    Larry K
    58 Jag 3.4 MK 1 auto under restoration, 57 Jag 3.4 MK1 manual ,
    03 Cooper S, 2011 Cooper S Countryman, 2011 Land Rover LR4 HSE LUX, 1964 Valiant V200
    Also had , 68 Cortina 1600E, 64 Spit 4 & 80 1500, 73 GT6 3, 71 XJ6, 79 XJ6, 86 XJS V-12, 53 XK120 OTS.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    That's not something you can "embed" - just post the link as you did.
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Back in the 50s most moms were home all the time especially when the kids came home from school. There were no computers to take time away from normal play time and like said, play was very inventive. No cell phones, in fact when we got a phone, it was a party line, ! One ringy dingy, two ringy dingy and usually you could hear some busybody breathing on the line seeing what gossip they could learn. Went ice skating on Jennings pond with a big bonfire on the bank, went swimming in the dark brown creek, dove off a railroad trestle bridge in 6 foot of water! those were the days and all the kids were happy. Got kicked by a cow, fell in a pile of manure (Mom loved that), we had to strip outside and get hosed off, summer or winter LOL! We did our school work because if we didn't we would be in hot water longer than we wanted! We ate like everything on our plate!! Famous saying was, your mom spent a lot of time fixing this great meal, now eat it! Good grief, some of this stuff I haven't thought of in years. I have a lot of stories on the farm that are funny and some not so funny. Ok, I'm done, nuff said for now.

Remember, Never Forget
    We Live In The Land of The Free
    Because of The Brave

How good it feels, the hand of an old friend! Longfellow

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

The thing I wonder about is thatwe, society as a whole, have forgotten that growing up is the time to make bad decisions or fail at things, and then learn from them. Failure isn't the end of the world, shoot I had things I found I wasn't good at and flopped on my face. Sports as a kid for example, I figured out my talent level peaked when I was about 14. Didn't get a participation ribbon or trophy, just last place in some things. And it didn't damage me for life. And I made my share of poor choices as a kid, learned from them rather than was protected from them. That's what makes us productive adults who know what to stay away from, mostly...

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts

A very interesting story about 1950s families:

https://www.theatlantic.com/video/in...modern-family/

What happened when the "mom and dad and 2.5 kids" family replaced the multi-generation extended family we'd all had for centuries.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...istake/605536/

Tom M.
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

Just saw a story about a college student suing her school because the school's food contains gluten. Huh? If the student is a "young adult," an eighteen-year-old or more, she is of legal age to enter into contracts, able to vote, be responsible for making decisions. What makes the school responsible to supply her specifically with a special diet? Sadly she will probably get a settlement from the school, they will be coerced into introducing more kitchen staff, provide a separate area for "gluten free" foods, all costing more. And then there's whining over tuition increases... Gluten reaction? WATCH WHAT YOU PUT IN YER PIE-HOLE, YA JERK! Mommy ain't feedin' ya now.

School should consider contracting Domino's to provide their gluten free Pizza!
    '64 MGB, '67 Lotus Elan S-3 DHC,'69 Lotus Elan +2
    '78 Alfa Romeo Spider-undergoing surgery: O=\*/=O
    '84 300D Turbo-"Diesela"-Now my Daily: Oo|≣|oO
    '02 Toyota Camry- SWMBO's 'new-to-her' Daily. <sigh>
    Chaos & Mayhem PTY, LTD..C.I.O. & Floor Sweepervisor

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts

Interesting that she specifically asked if certain foods served in the cafeteria contained gluten - and was told no they don't contain gluten.

Great way to finance college - sue the school for lying to the student.

On the other hand ... she could have just not eaten the questionable food.

(hmmm - want a little peanut butter on that carbon?)
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

I'll keep my nuclear family, thank you very much!
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde