• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A tr3 spare tire fit

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
The weather is getting nicer in PNW, and I started working on the tr3 spare tire rubber, but when I tried to fit the cover after putting the rubber on the fit is way off. I used the rubber that looks thin enough. I remember years ago the stuff was supper thick. The turn arms went in and turned fine without too much force, but that fit will leak badly.

I need to bend the cover in about ¾ of an inch. My concern is cracking the putty and paint. My first thought is to put a towel down on a table and push on the outside ends. Usually my first thought is a hammer, so I am getting better. Anyways I am looking for suggestions on how to approach this problem and try and avoid damage. Will the sheet metal usually bend that much without breaking the paint and putty? I am probably going to just have to go for it, but I am always up for a better idea.

Attachments

• DSCN3565sm.jpg
    DSCN3565sm.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN3566sm.jpg
    DSCN3566sm.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 123

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I think it is the rubber trim that is holding it. If I remember correctly I may have had to trim the rubber to get mine to fit. I did struggle to get it to fit well.
Also do you have the rubber pointing the correct way.

David

Tag photo.jpg

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Does it fit if you take the seal out? i'm a bit concerned about the width of the aperture , your photo looks like it is a close fit at the ends. If you bend the cover flatter it will grow longer and may not fit in the hole.

Graham

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
The trim! I didn't know you were asking about the trim/seal! Sorry 'bout that.

When I put on the new trim, it took several days to "compress" to fit. I parked in the sun, so the trim softened a bit. I gradually turned in the screws, and within a week, it fit fine.

PS - David, that is a *great* looking car!
Tom M.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Nice looking fit David. I have the lip inward; I hope that is correct. I have glued the rubber down Graham, so taking the rubber off would be a pain. I have struggled with these lids over the years, but the problem was always too tight and I would work at then the cover would close after time, like Tom suggested. I did have the cover in the hole a few times during the restoration, but it would/could fall out, and I figured it was because there was no rubber, but now I see it was the lid is bowed out in the middle and could slip out by falling inside at the top. The rubber on there now is creating enough of a pressure fit to keep the lid on, but will leak. I do see your point Graham about running out of room, but they should all have the same overall length and should fit. Part off the problem could be from a prior accident and the body did not get pulled out enough at apex of the center of the rear section and was blended in, so it is difficult to see the true shape of the tub.

My guess is I need to bend the cover in at the center and hope for the best. The good news is I can push the cover in with some real force by hand and get it where the cover looks fine, but it pops back. I do have another spare tire cover and I will look at that. My concern is the best way to bend the cover. The metal lip that folds over in back is thinner from age, so that should tear or give. Probably just put it on my knee and pull back or set it on a table and push down on the ends. I am Chicken.

STeve 1958

Jedi Hopeful
I think you can bend it without cracking the paint or at least just cracking the paint on the inside. Little choice but to put on your big boy pants and go for it. I like your original idea of a towel to push against.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I did cut the rubber down a bit.

The tape secures my cover because I lot one back in 1969. The TR was not as sound as this one but I wanted a bit of insurance.
I can not up load photos?? They uploaded .

David
Spare tire cover 2.jpg
Spare tire cover.jpg
Spare tire cover.jpg

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yes I hear you David. I have wondered about how that lid fits a few times with its press fit, but have not lost one yet. Some insurance is probably a good idea.

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I spent a lot of time to get the fit reasonable, the rear end of these old girls has been subject to a lot of abuse over there life time and yes it can be difficult to work out if the shape is right.
David, that holding strap is good idea, it would save dropping the cover on the ground while removing it, I did manage to do that and was a little upset at the time.

Graham
IMG_1747.jpeg

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Well I got the spare tire cover to fit much better. I would advise NOT bending the cover by hand after it is painted. I did not break the paint and it did bend, but the cover wants to bend down the sides about 10 inches in at the edge where the embossed license plate sticks out and stops. If you look close the embossment is large and leaves those small strips on the top and bottom. The embossment gives the cover strength in the center and the cover wants to fold at the end of the embossment on both sides. It bends there real easy. Probably the best way to get a good fit would be to put some relief cuts in the inner lip of the lid above the cover center and bend the cover to where you want it and weld them back.

Ironically, the way I got the cover to fit better was I took a straight clawed hammer and put one claw in the lid wedge catch inside the lid spar tire hole in the V notch and twisted the wedge in about ¼ inch on both sides. This applied more pressure and pulled the cover back tight; it still sticks out a little, but I can live it and there is a very small ripple on the lid at the very bottom of passenger where the end wanted to fold out.

steve

Attachments

• DSCN3569sm.jpg
    DSCN3569sm.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN3570sm.jpg
    DSCN3570sm.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 83
OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks you guys I appreciate it. No, I did not trim the rubber, but the rubber is thinner than stuff I bought in the past. I actually think it is the correct thickness, but it came with car in one of the boxes.

The car is Powder Blue, but perhaps on the white side. During my paint leaning experience, I had the second gallon mixed a little whiter because the blue I was using was very blue. I like the whiter blue better, and it seems to me that back in the day the power Blue had a whitish film to it, probably oxidation or maybe real enamel.

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well done Steve, my cover sticks out a bit like yours but you will be the only one who knows it's not perfect looks good to me.

Graham