Thread: tr3 spare tire fit

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

tr3 spare tire fit

The weather is getting nicer in PNW, and I started working on the tr3 spare tire rubber, but when I tried to fit the cover after putting the rubber on the fit is way off. I used the rubber that looks thin enough. I remember years ago the stuff was supper thick. The turn arms went in and turned fine without too much force, but that fit will leak badly.

I need to bend the cover in about of an inch. My concern is cracking the putty and paint. My first thought is to put a towel down on a table and push on the outside ends. Usually my first thought is a hammer, so I am getting better. Anyways I am looking for suggestions on how to approach this problem and try and avoid damage. Will the sheet metal usually bend that much without breaking the paint and putty? I am probably going to just have to go for it, but I am always up for a better idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts

Re: tr3 spare tire fit

How 'bout deflating the tire?
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I think it is the rubber trim that is holding it. If I remember correctly I may have had to trim the rubber to get mine to fit. I did struggle to get it to fit well.
    Also do you have the rubber pointing the correct way.

David

Tag photo.jpg
    TR3A TS75524L

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Does it fit if you take the seal out? i'm a bit concerned about the width of the aperture , your photo looks like it is a close fit at the ends. If you bend the cover flatter it will grow longer and may not fit in the hole.

Graham
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts

The trim! I didn't know you were asking about the trim/seal! Sorry 'bout that.

When I put on the new trim, it took several days to "compress" to fit. I parked in the sun, so the trim softened a bit. I gradually turned in the screws, and within a week, it fit fine.

PS - David, that is a *great* looking car!
    Tom M.
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Hello Tom

Thank you.

David
    TR3A TS75524L

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Nice looking fit David. I have the lip inward; I hope that is correct. I have glued the rubber down Graham, so taking the rubber off would be a pain. I have struggled with these lids over the years, but the problem was always too tight and I would work at then the cover would close after time, like Tom suggested. I did have the cover in the hole a few times during the restoration, but it would/could fall out, and I figured it was because there was no rubber, but now I see it was the lid is bowed out in the middle and could slip out by falling inside at the top. The rubber on there now is creating enough of a pressure fit to keep the lid on, but will leak. I do see your point Graham about running out of room, but they should all have the same overall length and should fit. Part off the problem could be from a prior accident and the body did not get pulled out enough at apex of the center of the rear section and was blended in, so it is difficult to see the true shape of the tub.

My guess is I need to bend the cover in at the center and hope for the best. The good news is I can push the cover in with some real force by hand and get it where the cover looks fine, but it pops back. I do have another spare tire cover and I will look at that. My concern is the best way to bend the cover. The metal lip that folds over in back is thinner from age, so that should tear or give. Probably just put it on my knee and pull back or set it on a table and push down on the ends. I am Chicken.

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I think you can bend it without cracking the paint or at least just cracking the paint on the inside. Little choice but to put on your big boy pants and go for it. I like your original idea of a towel to push against.

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I did cut the rubber down a bit.

The tape secures my cover because I lot one back in 1969. The TR was not as sound as this one but I wanted a bit of insurance.
    I can not up load photos?? They uploaded .

David
    Spare tire cover 2.jpg
    Spare tire cover.jpg
    Spare tire cover.jpg
    TR3A TS75524L

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Yes I hear you David. I have wondered about how that lid fits a few times with its press fit, but have not lost one yet. Some insurance is probably a good idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I spent a lot of time to get the fit reasonable, the rear end of these old girls has been subject to a lot of abuse over there life time and yes it can be difficult to work out if the shape is right.
    David, that holding strap is good idea, it would save dropping the cover on the ground while removing it, I did manage to do that and was a little upset at the time.

GrahamIMG_1747.jpeg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Well I got the spare tire cover to fit much better. I would advise NOT bending the cover by hand after it is painted. I did not break the paint and it did bend, but the cover wants to bend down the sides about 10 inches in at the edge where the embossed license plate sticks out and stops. If you look close the embossment is large and leaves those small strips on the top and bottom. The embossment gives the cover strength in the center and the cover wants to fold at the end of the embossment on both sides. It bends there real easy. Probably the best way to get a good fit would be to put some relief cuts in the inner lip of the lid above the cover center and bend the cover to where you want it and weld them back.

Ironically, the way I got the cover to fit better was I took a straight clawed hammer and put one claw in the lid wedge catch inside the lid spar tire hole in the V notch and twisted the wedge in about inch on both sides. This applied more pressure and pulled the cover back tight; it still sticks out a little, but I can live it and there is a very small ripple on the lid at the very bottom of passenger where the end wanted to fold out.

steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts

Steve - thanks for the update.

Did you have to trim that rubber seal?

Tom M.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

I'd call it a win...looks great.
    John

1955 TR2

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

That looks great.
    What is that white you are using. It appears to have a blue tint on my laptop.

David
    TR3A TS75524L

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Thanks you guys I appreciate it. No, I did not trim the rubber, but the rubber is thinner than stuff I bought in the past. I actually think it is the correct thickness, but it came with car in one of the boxes.

The car is Powder Blue, but perhaps on the white side. During my paint leaning experience, I had the second gallon mixed a little whiter because the blue I was using was very blue. I like the whiter blue better, and it seems to me that back in the day the power Blue had a whitish film to it, probably oxidation or maybe real enamel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Well done Steve, my cover sticks out a bit like yours but you will be the only one who knows it's not perfect looks good to me.

Graham
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]