• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye [style] gauges in a Box Sprite?

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
These
https://bugeyeguyparts.com/products/gps-bugeye-speedometer

I'm about to order the GPS speedo and electronic tach from above so that I can have accurate gauges in "the red thing". I know that Spridgets are mix and match as far as parts go, but was wondering what the opinions of the members here have about the esthetics of putting this style gauge in a box sprite.

It's not that I won't still do it if it is not given your approval, I'm just looking for opinions.
I know you have some.

Will also, because the tach is negative ground only, be changing polarity of the vehicle. I plan to get his "Genernator"

https://bugeyeguyparts.com/products/genernator

Thoughts?

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Bill,
I think Speedhut and Autometer both make gps speedos with a face like that...I believe Jim Gruber is using one. They would look good to me in a box Sprite.
Rut

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a genernator on my Bugeye and it works great. They come in positive and negative ground so make sure you get the right one. Mine is negative.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
But the Gauges in a Box Sprite are a different Size than in a Bugeye. You can get custom gauge faces from Speedhut for a nominal fee. And if you get on the Speedhut Mailing List they run 20% Discounts on holiday weekends. Measure the size of the openings. Something tells me that Spridget Gauges are 4" and Bugeyes are 3.5" Measure please before you order. Here are pics of my Speedhut Gauges. Bugeye Guy has a customized Gauge Face but you may be able to get from Speedhut. These look really good on my new Red Dash. Speedhut Speedo.JPGSpeedhut Tach.jpg

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have been looking at the SpeedHut gauges for years but didn't know that one could get them customized beyond their menu system. How did you do that? Did you have to call them? did you send a picture? can you send a picture? will they do them from pictures of Smith's gauges?

Do you remember the specifics of what you ordered? I want... I want.

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Weren't the Mark II Sprite/Mark I midget dash and instruments pretty similar to Bugeye?

They may have been, but I have a Mark III Sprite.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
The gauge sizes were the same bugeye thru '67. It was in '68 that the bigger gauges got smaller

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Bill, my first Sprite was a ‘68 with a padded dash. That’s why I was confused. I added a few options to gauges including on the Speedo a blue led for bright light as well as Green LEDs for L and R turn signals, as well as the Austin Healey Script. The tach got a red generator/alternator lamp remember you need an analog bulb in the line going there as an exciter for the a,ternator / Generator before going to the LED. And again added the Austin Healey Script logo. The center disc is one of the options you can choose. David’s is si ply a little larger I think than standard.

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Here's what I came up with from Speed Hut. I picked a different logo. But if the ones from Bug Eye Guy fit, I'll probably go that way.

I don't see a way to add the charging light to the tach.. Hmmmm.

However, if I read the message from Bill M correctly, Bug Eye gauges and Mark III gauges are the same size, 4" and I'll probably go with the ones from BugEye Guy.

Attachments

• customimage.png
    customimage.png
    73 KB · Views: 129

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Let me pull my dash off the shelf in the am and measure for you. I can unscrew the tach easily and measure the size of the opening. I might have ordered 3 3/4” size. The logo I just pulled off of the internet and sent them the file. They photoshopped the image to make it fit and so there was room for the LED’s to look nice. See if they can pull up my order in their files and copy the artwork if you like how it looks. Hmm order would have been in 2017 I think and I still lived in OH. See if they still have this artwork on file. I’ll check the opening size in the am for you.

James Gruber
3656 Echo Hill Lane
Beavercreek, OH 45430

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I’ll also look and see if I still have the eMail with the final proofs.

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Update. I decided to go with the gauges from Bugeye Guy. Also changing to positive ground, installing Genernator, and redoing dash crinkle finish. I have to change the Crane ignition to a negative ground or universal one to make the polarity swop, so a new one of those too.