• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Automobile Safety [Passengers--about 1957]

Harold

Bronze
Country flag
I have a collection of old mags (1949--mid '60's) --bought recently on ebay--Practical Science--Mechanix Illustrated--and others---In the automobile reviews,
they say nothing about seat belts--the pics of the front seat do not show seat belts--the magazine's new car drivers talk about how "stable"
the car is at 80 miles an hour on curvy roads--etc-etc. About 1955/56--Ford Motor company factory engineers recommended installing
"anchor points" for the seat belts for about $10 a car on the assembly line, and the dealer could install seat belts if the buyer wanted them-
The engineering department head brought this up at a Board Meeting----the seat belt issue was dismissed along with the notion that seat belts
reminded the public that cars are dangerous--the next year they pushed collapsible steering wheels, and padded dash--but still no
seat belts----The Volvo in the med '60's were the first production cars to have 3 point--shoulder and lap belts installed at the factory-
I had 2 Volvos in those years--So moving along to to this "British Car Forum"--I have restored 2 Morris Minors, an Austin A35,
1951 MGTD, and a 1952 MGYB--
and 3 Nash Metropolitans (they are British, you know)--and installed 3 point --shoulder belts and seat belts in all of them--

Side note--one of the mags in their automobile "handy hints" section--showed a drawing of a "net" that you could fasten across the passenger seat-
anchored on the door post, and then to the center/top of the dash--this would keep the little tykes secure and not do a dashboard (or worse)
faceplant in case of an accident--yeah--sure!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Harold - thanks for the info. I'm always fascinated by the old popular mechanics and electronics magazines.

Interesting that Nash installed seatbelts in its Statesman and Ambassador cars in 1950. Another one of Nash's "one step ahead" moves, like Weather Eye heating.