• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BT7 Door Seal Installation

BT7Doug

Freshman Member
Country flag
I would like to replace the door seal on my "62 (manufactured in July '61 and a side shifter) Tri Carb BT7 and am having trouble figuring out how to terminate the door seal behind the seats. The restoration manual is not helpful either; the pictures are indistinct and I am not sure my model is represented. In the restoration manual and in pictures I have found of what I believe to be 61-62 BT7s, the trim appears to disappear under a silver cap mounted with 3 screws. I can not find that part in the Moss catalogue. The restoration manual talks about something being attached to a block of wood. No wood block on my car.

Attached is a picture of my driver side door (red vehicle) showing the trim and the attachment hole for the tonneau cover. Also attached is an internet picture of this mysterious silver coloured block in what is claimed to be a '62 BT7. Moss sells some miscellaneous trim fittings but for the life of me I cannot figure where they go on my car. I added a picture of those too. With the trim ending like it is, getting in and out of the car just trashes it and it clearly needs to be properly terminated. If anyone can send me a picture of what the original production solution looked like or provide a description on what I need to do, I will be eternally grateful.

Attachments

• IMG_4808.jpg
    IMG_4808.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 5262_8[1].jpg
    5262_8[1].jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_4809.jpg
    IMG_4809.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 161

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Here are a couple of pictures of that area on my 1961 BT7. It looks as if my car may be missing the aluminum top finisher pieces that you show in your second picture. Come to think of it, I have seen one or two pieces like that finisher in the spare parts collection. In any case, it looks as if your weatherstrip does not extend far enough up the door post to make the turn to the back.

Attachments

• IMG_8137.jpg
    IMG_8137.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_8138.jpg
    IMG_8138.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 160

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Here is a shot of that area of my BT7 before my last restoration. You can see the wooden block that the aluminum cap sits on. The small hole in the second photo is for the sheet metal screw that holds the block to the inner fender top plate. Also the black weatherstripping that mounts between the door finisher and the rear fender should continue up and loop around the top edge above the single screw. In my photo that portion of the weatherstrip has worn away so doesn't show up.

Attachments

• IMG_4139.jpg
    IMG_4139.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4143.jpg
    IMG_4143.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 153

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The door seal cap Moss part numbers are 021-785 (R/H) and 021-784 (L/H). Red Bristleflex door seal, sold by the foot, is 249-695. Other colors have different part numbers. Not recommending any particular supplier; the other suppliers probably also have the parts. Hope this helps.

OP
B

BT7Doug

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks to both of you for that information. This is the first view I have had of that block of wood. I will have a look under the fender to see if there are residual hole signs. When I purchased the car the carpeting was not included in that little shelf, just paint. The carpet kit I purchased cover the entire shelf so the block could go on top. Or I could install the wood and trim the carpeting back. Any opinion? And thanks too for find the part number for those caps. This will really tidy up the installation of that trim.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The block goes on before the carpet. You should be able to remove the carpet piece without disturbing the block or aluminum cap.

OP
B

BT7Doug

Freshman Member
Country flag
I had found that site but not really sure what the different blocks are for. A really old post on this site suggested that the block is covered with the vinyl used on the cockpit trim. I am going to order the hardware and then cut a block of the appropriate size with some oak if I can find it. I will try wrapping it in vinyl much like that block in the truck which supports the tire at the back. I will post a pic if it works. Thanks for the help

Doug

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
There are two blocks per side. One goes under The aluminum finisher cap like in my photo. I don't remember if it originally was covered with vinyl but it may have been since some of it is exposed. I just painted mine a dark blue to match the interior vinyl. I do have a vague memory of them being covered in vinyl but my first interior restoration was 40 years ago so I can't be sure.
The other wedge shaped block goes up under the side of the rear surround and aluminum cockpit trim and is there to hold the top bow in place when it's stowed in the hood down position. You should also be able to locate some screws holes up under the cockpit sides. I don't believe these were ever painted or covered since you can't see them.

OP
B

BT7Doug

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks Rob,

I received the blocks and have them installed. I will install the trim and the aluminum caps as soon as I find the suitable retaining screws. Do you or anyone else have a picture of where the wedge shape pieces go? I could not find the mentioned screw holes.

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. Since we have to stay home we may as well mess around with our cars

IMG_5011.jpg

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Doug, These photos show where he wedge shape pieces of wood go. This photo is from around 2002-03 when I started the restoration of my 60 BT7. These are the original blocks in original location. Hope this helps.
Lin
Interior wing wood.jpg

Interior wing wood 2.jpg

OP
B

BT7Doug

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks Lin, exactly what I was looking for. It looks like the screw holes have been painted over on my machine but I will find them. The correct finish is likely vinyl so will investigate that after I discover the holes.

Doug

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Doug, the wooden blocks under the aluminum finisher were covered in vinyl on my car, but no vinyl on the blocks that hold the soft top frame in place. Just painted body color.

OP
B

BT7Doug

Freshman Member
Country flag
Here is the left block in place. Fit snuggly as the carpeting is already installed. A vinyl cover would make it even tighter. Does anyone know the purpose of these blocks? My soft top frame is stowed and does not seem to have anything to do with the blocks.

IMG_5014.jpg