• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

XK Roadster

Henri

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Wow...I saw one of these this past weekend at a car show...it was love at first sight...candy apple red...with tan interior...big white wall tires on it...

Can anyone tell me more about them...the one I saw was a 1955...what are they going for today...do they drive well...rooming?...looks powerful...is it...are they dependable drivers...any thing...went searching online...but could not find much...with regards to my questions

Jag.jpg

[ 04-20-2004: Message edited by: Henri ]</p>

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Henri,

How deep is your wallet? Nice and classy cars but a good example is probably worth more than a Big Healey. I think there a few owners of them around here on the forum, and many enthusiasts of them...

OP
Henri

Henri

Jedi Knight
Country flag
How deep is your wallet?

I saw a "real" fixer-up for sale for $26K...so I'm guessing that restored it's in the neighborhood of $50K...

Izual Angel

Jedi Trainee
They're nice, yes. I know https://www.xks.com has a lot of parts for them, so you can still get spares.

The little I know is this. There's an XK-140 and XK 150. The roadster is known as OTS (Other Than Sedan). They should use the normal I-6 Jag engine as well.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
The one in you picture is an XK 150 drophead. The XK 120 and 140 came in 3 choices -fixed head (coupe), drophead or roadster. The XK 150 was fixed head (coupe) or drophead and apparently a roadster in 1958 was available.

The XK120 and 140 are probably worth more than the 150 and I personally think they look better than a 150 but that still is a great looking car.

The difference between an XK 150 and the XK 120/ 140 is fairly obvious when you see them next to each other. The body lines on the side of the 150 are not as radical. The 150 is "fatter" looking so to speak.

But if it was a 1955 it must have been an XK 140.

All 3 have the dual overhead cam straight six Jag engine. Tight engine compartment compared to a E Type. (If an E Type has its bonnet up is there even an engine compartment!!!
grin.gif
:confused
smile.gif

[ 04-20-2004: Message edited by: Bruce Bowker ]

[ 04-20-2004: Message edited by: Bruce Bowker ]</p>

John S Farrington

Jedi Warrior
What you saw was an XK140. They are strait six dual overhead cam engines that set the land speed record in about 1948. It is a great engine and the XK sport cars handle superbly. They sound even better. They are very pricey on the collectors market. They cost a lot to restore so if you buy one, get one in the best condition you can afford. They were love at first sight for me when I bought my first Jaguar in 1956, an XK120MC.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I've seen a few of those XK120 replica's on the market lately, anyone seen any of them up close?

Suppose it's the same now (price-wise) as building a Cobra kit car... who can afford the real Cobra or XK120 roadster, so if it's well-built and more affordable get the kit.

JIM NEWMAN

Henri
Check out pics 48-51 in the Jaguar member's rides. That's my 1955 XK140 Fixed Head Coupe. She's very fast, handles well for her age, has 135,000 miles on her and is as dependable as they come. On top of that she is absolutely gorgeous
Come to Edmonton some time. We'll go for a ride.
jim

OP
Henri

Henri

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jim...I've been to Winnipeg, Vancouver and Toronto...have not been to Edmonton...but if I do...I'll take you up on the offer...

I got my pictures back today from the Car Show...got a great one of the XK Roadster...looks just like the replica...tires and all...except it's in Red...and it's the real thing...

[ 04-21-2004: Message edited by: Henri ]</p>

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I actually made a "barn find" of an alloy-bodied XK120 OTS a few years ago, the guy I called about it ended up buying it as-is for $17K, and then dropped another $100K on its restoration. It's winning prizes now, but will soon be a driver. He wins shows with a car and once it has won a few he starts driving it, good system.

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Sherlock,

I agree with you on not being able to afford the real XK120, but those seats! I don't remember Jaguar offering tuxedo-button trim... They look like they were ripped from a carnival ride! If anyone builds a replica, please don't order your seats from a watercraft supplier! There are better options.

confused.gif

Brian

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bmurphy7369:
Sherlock,

I agree with you on not being able to afford the real XK120, but those seats! I don't remember Jaguar offering tuxedo-button trim... They look like they were ripped from a carnival ride! If anyone builds a replica, please don't order your seats from a watercraft supplier! There are better options.

confused.gif

Brian
<hr></blockquote>

iagree.gif
iagree.gif
Those seats are a dead giveaway!! If they were of a similar style to the original it would be hard to tell it from a real one with just a casual glance. Just shows, there is no accounting for people's (lack of) taste.

Eric

Jedi Warrior
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Izual Angel:
The little I know is this. The roadster is known as OTS (Other Than Sedan). <hr></blockquote>

Actually, OTS stands for open top sports, aka the roadster. The drophead coupe top folded up like the one in the photo (great lumpen pile of cloth behind the cockpit) and had rear seats to accommodate children with no legs. The OTS top disappeared beneath the rear deck and had no rear seats as the rear deck came right up to the rear of the front seats. At least that's how it was in my XK150S.

Graham Lyons

Freshman Member
The first Jag I ever really noticed was a white XK120 OTS back in the '50's I would pass on my way to school when I was a boy. I have had lustful thoughts about Jags ever since - and particularly XK's. Those voluptuous lines of the 120 are almost embarrassing, aren't they?
I finally got myself a sedan, a Mark 2, which is the nearest thing I'll ever own to my real dream car, an XK150 S.
I'm just back from a brisk punt in the old thing. I'll come down from the high in an hour or so.

Graham

OP
Henri

Henri

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It's so odd to see the same lines in some of these old LBC's...Jag, Healey and MG's in the period of late 50's early 60's...all having similarilites...I posted a remark about that sometime ago...and had a response that yes...not surprising as all the plants producing them were very close...(drinking buddy close)...
cheers.gif

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I've told this story before, but its been awhile so it bears repeating. I learned to drive in a 1960 Jaguar XK150 - it was the car that started my life-long British car bug!

Basil

[ 04-24-2004: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

Graham Lyons

Freshman Member
But, Henri, weren't there some lovely cars designed in the 50's and '60's? Even the Mercs had those soft round lines for the 190 and 300SL's, for example!
Graham

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Henri:
It's so odd to see the same lines in some of these old LBC's...Jag, Healey and MG's in the period of late 50's early 60's...all having similarilites...I posted a remark about that sometime ago...and had a response that yes...not surprising as all the plants producing them were very close...(drinking buddy close)...
cheers.gif
<hr></blockquote>

What accounts for how similar so many cars look today? I would think aerodynamics now play an important part in design. Is it my generation or did those cars really look different? Today I think most new cars all look the same. Would a 20 year old say all the 50's cars look the same?