• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I’ve lost my mind, or what’s left of it!

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Got back from the hospital today after a little hip lubrication, back should be coming up pretty soon and I’m pretty loopy from the meds. Found out about a car being traded in on Monday, so I bought it yesterday. It’s much easier to get in and out of with room to maneuver, still a sports car and gives lots of smiles. Not leaving the LBC crowd, but I do have some tough choices to make. I’ll keep 2 or 3 LBCs and I’ve participated in some face to face and forum discussions about what to do with the cars when it’s time. I don’t want them to be a burden to my family if something should happen, so I’ll take my time and try to find the right kind of enthusiast to be a caretaker. No, I’m not giving them away, but I’ll figure out a way to make it happen. For your viewing pleasure I’ve attached a couple of pictures.
Rut

Attachments

• A0B24802-5DD2-4210-93CC-52EB08327810.jpeg
    A0B24802-5DD2-4210-93CC-52EB08327810.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 45D269F6-BD03-4229-BABC-0ADD2E6D35D9.jpeg
    45D269F6-BD03-4229-BABC-0ADD2E6D35D9.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 43042648-FA66-4D31-97B3-05E051553EFB.jpeg
    43042648-FA66-4D31-97B3-05E051553EFB.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 80

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Will you still associate with our kind?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Looks really nice and I get it completely. enjoy! And there is space in my garage if you need to store it. :smile:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Congrats Rut. What year? I was admiring my nephews 2006 Green w Tan 911 over Christmas Holidays. Was Promised I could drive it this Summer when insurance back in force. There are some special back roads in OH I promised my nephew I’d show him.

and I know I keep looking at Boxsters.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Tough letting go of the cars we've owned for so long. As we age, they get less practical by the day and the lure of more comfort and performance is hard to resist. But it also seems like we're hanging onto the last vestiges of our youth. I've noticed getting out of the bugeye is getting tougher and catch myself looking at Caymans from time to time. Nice looking Porsche, Rut. Good luck with it.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
LBCs are in my blood and while it will be nice to have a sports car my wife will ride in, I will stay the course. The 911 is a car that I can change the oil on, but I’ve got a lot to learn about it. Jim, is a 2011 911, it’s what’s known as a 997.2 in the Porsche manufacturers lingo. From 1999 to 2005 the 911s (996) had some teething problems with an intermediate shaft bushing in the engine. Not a real high failure rate, but if the bushing had issues a catastrophic engine failure would most likely occur. In mid 2005 the 997 was introduced and it used the same engine with the intermediate shaft, but a somewhat better bushing. This car was known as the 997.1 and production ran until the 997.2 came out in 2009. The 997.2 ran from 2009 to 2012 and introduced several nice features that I was interested in...a PDK dual clutch transmission, no intermediate shaft, and a host of electronic nanny devices that could be turned off. In 2013 the 911 (991) became bigger and heavier, more expensive and luxurious and they are very nice, but I like the smaller and lighter 911 at about 3000#. Porsche will build whatever you want and I got what one would consider a base model, decent options, PDK, 345 hp, and it’s a CPO (certified period owned) that gives me a factory 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty, no deductible thru Porsche. These cars new are stupid money ranging from $100k to well over $500k depending on how fast you want to spend. Needless to say I was a whole lot less $ than that or this would not have happened. At 70 with several of my body parts needing replacement/repair and getting in and out of an LBC becoming very difficult, my choices were my wife’s Toyota Venza or my GMC pickem up truck, neither is very inspiring to drive although both are very comfortable. My best friend is a car guy with an MGB, ALFA GTV, 2 911s, 2 miatas, one of which is a race car AND he’s a PCA driving instructor!
Rut

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I can relate to you completely, Rut! Having recently sold our two MGBs and replaced them with the Jag XK8 for pretty much the same reasons, I admit I kinda miss the Bs, but still have the Victor TF and now the Jag to play with. And that Jag is the sweetest touring car - excellent road manners and, of course, comfortable and quiet. (Maybe TOO quiet; have to do something about the exhaust...)

Mickey

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Tough letting go of the cars we've owned for so long. As we age, they get less practical by the day and the lure of more comfort and performance is hard to resist. But it also seems like we're hanging onto the last vestiges of our youth. I've noticed getting out of the bugeye is getting tougher and catch myself looking at Caymans from time to time. Nice looking Porsche, Rut. Good luck with it.
Rick,
Thanks and the Caymans are a sweet ride...they are so neutral in their handling it’s very hard to mess up, way better than the 911s. I looked very hard at them and the are gorgeous, but the newest generation is all turbo and they don’t make the exhaust sounds the early turbo and NA engines do. I think the have a speaker inside the car that plays exhaust sounds like some BMWs do.
Rut

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Mickey,
Yep, watched your MGBs go and it really tugs on your heart strings...Dan Masters cars, too. I love the XK8 and Jag hit a home run with it. As they say, ‘We plan, God laughs’ and I’m doing all I can to enjoy my time on this spinning rock in space.
Rut

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Well, as long as you're spinning, you need to drag that Porsche up this way and we'll tackle the Tail of the Dragon!

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hitting 70 in May. Have a 2 cars in build, and three drivers. RV, bass boat and flat trailer. Had a nephew call and ask what I was doing with the cars if I passed. Told him 1st, I'm not dead yet, 2nd they will be sold at auction and money donated to charity. He said that wasn't fair. He hasn't ever had a decent job he can keep and knows nothing of these cars. The nerve to call just for that after not talking in years. I will keep on until one falls on me or I just can't do it. Yep, hard to get in and out sometimes, but once on the road that is forgotten. Wife will always cram in with me. Besides what we have put aside for family, won't hurt them to figure how to dispose of our toys when we abruptly go. :playful:

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I will hit 78 in March and they will have to pry my Bugeye out of my hands. I still have some life left in me and will continue to snag trophies at car shows until I absolutely can't do it any more so you kids hang in there and enjoy the rest of your days.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I like your attitude Larry. I'll be 80 late this year and hope to have at least the Sprite finished before then. Also hope I can still get in and out of it, of course. The Prefect is a tall and skinny 4 door sedan so probably the easiest of all my vehicles to enter and exit, including the daily drivers (Explorer and Saab). Also as soon as the weather breaks I want to get the starting problem with the VW fixed so I can commute to the shop (3 miles) in it instead of the Explorer.