Thread: Iíve lost my mind, or whatís left of it!

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Iíve lost my mind, or whatís left of it!

Got back from the hospital today after a little hip lubrication, back should be coming up pretty soon and Iím pretty loopy from the meds. Found out about a car being traded in on Monday, so I bought it yesterday. Itís much easier to get in and out of with room to maneuver, still a sports car and gives lots of smiles. Not leaving the LBC crowd, but I do have some tough choices to make. Iíll keep 2 or 3 LBCs and Iíve participated in some face to face and forum discussions about what to do with the cars when itís time. I donít want them to be a burden to my family if something should happen, so Iíll take my time and try to find the right kind of enthusiast to be a caretaker. No, Iím not giving them away, but Iíll figure out a way to make it happen. For your viewing pleasure Iíve attached a couple of pictures.
    Rut
    Rut, '60 Bugeye, '70 MGB, '62 TR4, '66 TR4a IRS, '67 TR4a IRS, '68 TR4a IRS, '72 TR6

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Re: Iíve lost my mind, or whatís left of it!

Will you still associate with our kind?
    Just Remember.......
    NOBODY ever says "COOL PRIUS!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Looks really nice and I get it completely. enjoy! And there is space in my garage if you need to store it.
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Congrats Rut. What year? I was admiring my nephews 2006 Green w Tan 911 over Christmas Holidays. Was Promised I could drive it this Summer when insurance back in force. There are some special back roads in OH I promised my nephew I’d show him.

and I know I keep looking at Boxsters.
    Jim Gruber - Apollo Beach, FL
    Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
    Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new - 10/12 Painting done, reassembly, cutting, and buffing in progress.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Tough letting go of the cars we've owned for so long. As we age, they get less practical by the day and the lure of more comfort and performance is hard to resist. But it also seems like we're hanging onto the last vestiges of our youth. I've noticed getting out of the bugeye is getting tougher and catch myself looking at Caymans from time to time. Nice looking Porsche, Rut. Good luck with it.
    Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

LBCs are in my blood and while it will be nice to have a sports car my wife will ride in, I will stay the course. The 911 is a car that I can change the oil on, but I’ve got a lot to learn about it. Jim, is a 2011 911, it’s what’s known as a 997.2 in the Porsche manufacturers lingo. From 1999 to 2005 the 911s (996) had some teething problems with an intermediate shaft bushing in the engine. Not a real high failure rate, but if the bushing had issues a catastrophic engine failure would most likely occur. In mid 2005 the 997 was introduced and it used the same engine with the intermediate shaft, but a somewhat better bushing. This car was known as the 997.1 and production ran until the 997.2 came out in 2009. The 997.2 ran from 2009 to 2012 and introduced several nice features that I was interested in...a PDK dual clutch transmission, no intermediate shaft, and a host of electronic nanny devices that could be turned off. In 2013 the 911 (991) became bigger and heavier, more expensive and luxurious and they are very nice, but I like the smaller and lighter 911 at about 3000#. Porsche will build whatever you want and I got what one would consider a base model, decent options, PDK, 345 hp, and it’s a CPO (certified period owned) that gives me a factory 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty, no deductible thru Porsche. These cars new are stupid money ranging from $100k to well over $500k depending on how fast you want to spend. Needless to say I was a whole lot less $ than that or this would not have happened. At 70 with several of my body parts needing replacement/repair and getting in and out of an LBC becoming very difficult, my choices were my wife’s Toyota Venza or my GMC pickem up truck, neither is very inspiring to drive although both are very comfortable. My best friend is a car guy with an MGB, ALFA GTV, 2 911s, 2 miatas, one of which is a race car AND he’s a PCA driving instructor!
    Rut
    Rut, '60 Bugeye, '70 MGB, '62 TR4, '66 TR4a IRS, '67 TR4a IRS, '68 TR4a IRS, '72 TR6

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

I can relate to you completely, Rut! Having recently sold our two MGBs and replaced them with the Jag XK8 for pretty much the same reasons, I admit I kinda miss the Bs, but still have the Victor TF and now the Jag to play with. And that Jag is the sweetest touring car - excellent road manners and, of course, comfortable and quiet. (Maybe TOO quiet; have to do something about the exhaust...)

Mickey
    "There are three kinds of men. One who learns by readin'. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on that electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers
    Mickey Richaud - '73 MGB, '69 MGB GT/V6 (both SOLD! ); Victor TF 1800; '03 Jaguar XK8
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HealeyRick View Post
    Tough letting go of the cars we've owned for so long. As we age, they get less practical by the day and the lure of more comfort and performance is hard to resist. But it also seems like we're hanging onto the last vestiges of our youth. I've noticed getting out of the bugeye is getting tougher and catch myself looking at Caymans from time to time. Nice looking Porsche, Rut. Good luck with it.
    Rick,
    Thanks and the Caymans are a sweet ride...they are so neutral in their handling it’s very hard to mess up, way better than the 911s. I looked very hard at them and the are gorgeous, but the newest generation is all turbo and they don’t make the exhaust sounds the early turbo and NA engines do. I think the have a speaker inside the car that plays exhaust sounds like some BMWs do.
    Rut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Mickey,
    Yep, watched your MGBs go and it really tugs on your heart strings...Dan Masters cars, too. I love the XK8 and Jag hit a home run with it. As they say, ‘We plan, God laughs’ and I’m doing all I can to enjoy my time on this spinning rock in space.
    Rut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Well, as long as you're spinning, you need to drag that Porsche up this way and we'll tackle the Tail of the Dragon!
    "There are three kinds of men. One who learns by readin'. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on that electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers
    Mickey Richaud - '73 MGB, '69 MGB GT/V6 (both SOLD! ); Victor TF 1800; '03 Jaguar XK8
    ------------------------------------------------------------

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickey Richaud For This Useful Post:

Rut  (02-14-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Hitting 70 in May. Have a 2 cars in build, and three drivers. RV, bass boat and flat trailer. Had a nephew call and ask what I was doing with the cars if I passed. Told him 1st, I'm not dead yet, 2nd they will be sold at auction and money donated to charity. He said that wasn't fair. He hasn't ever had a decent job he can keep and knows nothing of these cars. The nerve to call just for that after not talking in years. I will keep on until one falls on me or I just can't do it. Yep, hard to get in and out sometimes, but once on the road that is forgotten. Wife will always cram in with me. Besides what we have put aside for family, won't hurt them to figure how to dispose of our toys when we abruptly go.
    Larry K
    58 Jag 3.4 MK 1 auto under restoration, 57 Jag 3.4 MK1 manual ,
    03 Cooper S, 2011 Cooper S Countryman, 2011 Land Rover LR4 HSE LUX, 1964 Valiant V200
    Also had , 68 Cortina 1600E, 64 Spit 4 & 80 1500, 73 GT6 3, 71 XJ6, 79 XJ6, 86 XJS V-12, 53 XK120 OTS.

Jedi Warrior
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I will hit 78 in March and they will have to pry my Bugeye out of my hands. I still have some life left in me and will continue to snag trophies at car shows until I absolutely can't do it any more so you kids hang in there and enjoy the rest of your days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I like your attitude Larry. I'll be 80 late this year and hope to have at least the Sprite finished before then. Also hope I can still get in and out of it, of course. The Prefect is a tall and skinny 4 door sedan so probably the easiest of all my vehicles to enter and exit, including the daily drivers (Explorer and Saab). Also as soon as the weather breaks I want to get the starting problem with the VW fixed so I can commute to the shop (3 miles) in it instead of the Explorer.
    Was Man nicht im Kopf hat muss Man in den Beinen haben
    '48 Ford Prefect
    '67 Sprite (project)
    '74 Super Beetle
    http://enfoprefect.org