• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Advise on previously botched front end lower fulcrum support bracket.

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
100_2009.jpg100_2010.jpg100_2012.jpg Here's the story: About 20 years ago I was replacing front end parts and noticed that the part of the frame that bolts to the fulcrum support bracket on the drivers side was cracked(maybe the PO had hit something???) I got a friend to weld the area up but after he left I noticed that the only way I could bolt up the bracket was to add washers to the hold down bolt. I've been driving like this for years but it seems to me now that I have had issues with tire wear and that this set up is causing issues with the steering geometry? The first two pictures are of the drivers side rear lower fulcrum support bracket and the wishbone arm. The third picture is of the lower fulcrum support bracket at the "front" as a comparison. (Not a very good pic.) Anyone have an idea of what was initially bent here? It seems to me that the weld was built up too high during the repair or the wishbone arm should have been pushed down lower to the frame before it was welded? But would that account for the Gap that needed to be filled with the washers? Anyone have a picture of the frame showing the part that the support bracket bolts to? Anyone have any thoughts on how to repair this area properly?
It just occurred to me that at one time the front drivers side of the car may have been hit and bent the frame upward where the support bracket mounts? I'll try and send a picture of the frame in that area.

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Hi Karl, The bracket that has the washers does not look correct. The bracket that bolts on only has an offset the thickness of the tab that is welded to the frame. The bracket in the last picture looks correct. The bracket in the first picture is not correct, the off set is way too much. If you take the correct bracket off you can see if it will bolt up on the side that has the washers (spacers) without having to use the washers. That way you can see if it is off. There are very detailed frame measurements in the service manual. Finding the problem can be a time consuming and tedious process. Good luck, Frank

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
IMG_0709.jpgHere are a couple of pictures to show the relation of the lower fulcrum pin to the bracket.
IMG_0710.jpg
The pictures are of the rear of the fulcrum pin on the driver side(LHD). All 4 brackets should be the same front and back left and right.
The bracket that bolts to the frame and the fulcrum pin should have an offset just over 3/16 of an inch. if you hold it on a flat surface a 3/16" drill bit will fit under the offset, a 1/4" bit will not. Hope this helps, Frank

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Karl,
You are looking at one point of the front suspension. I would have guess that the one point that you are looking at is not the primary problem , but rather that is where the misalignment shows up. It seems to me that you need to look at the front portion of that suspension and determine if there is something that is "pushing" the lower wishbone to the rear. Because the lower wishbone pieces are bolted to the spring pan, I would guess that there is little ability to make up for a bent front bracket until one gets to the rear bracket. Could the lower wishbone arms be bent, as well as the lower plate ( that would be rather obvious)? Even a bent vertical link is possible. I think that I would try to disassemble the front suspension and try to bolt it back up starting at the rear and see where the error shows up that time.