• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR The RT story video.

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
David. I have one that looks very much like the photo Healey Rick supplied.
fixes right to the stansion. Extremely helpful!

Gil. NoCal

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Rick and Gil

At the moment I am using a mirror that clamps to the SS piece between the stanchion and Wind shield frame and find the view very good with that setup. I am trying to make a change so I can have the same mirror setup with the side screens on the car.

Have been looking for the Harley Davidson ones.
David
TR mirror close up.jpg

Leatherman

Country flag
I bought one at Carlisle. I like it so much I am eliminating the fender mounted one in my restoration. Only thing to consider they are not side screen friendly. You need to carry an Allen wrench to remove them if needed.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I have bought some chrome button head screws to anchor a bracket to the rearmost wind screen stanchion mounting bolt. Am trying to get a bracket nmade that I like the looks of and that works to hold the mirror at a convenient height.

David

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I think I have put my mirror up before, it mounts in one of the stanchion screw holes and is out of the way of the side screen. They were made by a TR Register Australia member bu I see his add in the for sale section has been taken down so I guess he no longer makes them.

Graham
IMG_0564.jpeg
P1020834.jpeg
P1010306.jpeg

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
I've never like fender mounted mirrors, so I searched for alternatives and found something similar to the Bugeye part. My 1957 TR3 has the Dzus-style stanchion attachment to the scuttle. I removed the windshield as well as the rearmost Dzus on the driver's side. I then removed the stanchion plate and removed the wire on the back side, which the Dzus fitting would have locked to. Using the stanchion plate as a guide, I drilled a 1/4 inch pilot hole in the inner plate (through the slot in the scuttle), then reamed that hole to 3/4 inch diameter in order to pass through a bolt.

I had previously located a vintage Wingard mirror on eBay (era appropriate), which is threaded at the base for a 5/16 x 24 x 1 bolt. I reattached the stanchion plate to the scuttle and mounted the windshield, locking it in place with the three remaining Dzus-fittings. Feeding the stainless bolt through with washer and lock washer, I place another stainless washer in the empty recess where the Dzus would have been (it fit!), I then placed a thin, rubber washer (which was trimmed to the diameter of the mirror's stem base) over the bolt, and threaded the bolt into the base of the stem. I used a socket driver to tighten the bolt to the stem once the mirror was correctly positioned. I then adjusted the mirror while sitting in the car.

The first photo shows a TR2 where the idea came from, the second and third photos show the installation on my car. It looks like it was a factory-fit.

Triumph-TR-2-long-door-1954-05.jpgIMG_5104.jpgIMG_5105.jpg

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Thank you.

My TR has the bolted stanchions co they are already threaded for 5/16 x 24 but I am not sure how long the bolt would need to be to catch the captive nut.

I will look for Wingard mirrors on the net.

David

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I tried a couple of different mirrors, including the Harley-Davidson type, but I wound up modifying one of the regular fender mirrors. For the driver's side, you need the passenger side wing mirror. There's a stud on the bottom that has the correct threads, but it is too short. The stud is cast in, so I cut it off and drilled and tapped for a longer stud. A couple of washers to fill in the recess in the stanchion, and it screws right in.

DSC_3263s.jpg DSC_3275s.jpg

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Art

A neat solution. I will have to check into that avenue.

I have bent up some thicker Stainless steel to see how it will function. My last effort was a bit too thin so the mirror vibrated.

David
Latest morror mount.jpg

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That is probably as good as anything David, as you are never likely to take it off maybe drill a small hole and tape a screw into the stanchion just to stop it rotating down. I think you are onto a winner with that one, well done.

Graham

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Graham

Thank you. I had the Stainless steel laying around at home.

I put washers under the bracket to fill in the counter bore so the bracket is clamped down very tightly. The socket head screw allows a good amount or torque on the screw .

David