• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Front Shroud Differences: 3000 vs. BJ8

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have damaged the front shroud on my BN6 beyond reasonable repair. I have found a decent BJ8 shroud. My question to the forum is, what if any differences are there in interchanging the two shrouds? I realize that the parking/turn signal light openings are different, but I can live with that, I think. However, the windshield area and windshield post attachment might be different as well as the shroud extension for the dash. Hopefully there would be little to no difference, but I suspect that I might have to compromise and use part of my shroud with the BJ8 shroud. My damaged shroud is okay from probably one half of the bonnet opening to the rear where the shroud attaches to the dash. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You're correct, the shroud is different in the windshield area. The defroster vents are about 6" forward (I recall) in the convertible shroud. A club member of ours found his had been pieced there and had two sets of defroster vents.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
MaxWedge, I have a BJ7 that has dual lighting like a BJ8. I investigated that arrangement years ago when I bought the car and was told that it was delivered to Germany and had an early Euro lighting arrangement. When I restored the car I found no evidence that the shrouds had ever been changed. So I go with that explaination. My point in saying this is that when I restored the car there was no wiring harness that would match the electrical configuration in the car. I either had to buy a BJ7 or earlier harness that had provisions for the turnsignal/brake relay or buy a BJ8 harness that would match the lighting layout and no relay but then did not match the dashboard configuration. For better or worse I opted to by a BJ7 harness and modify it so as to not need the turnsignal/brake relay. It was quite a hassle. In your case since you have the relay I believe the only thing that you will need to do is separate the turnsignal and running light wires at the front of the car and attach them to separate sockets. (the back of my car also is wired like a BJ8 which increased the complexity of adapting an early harness.)

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I have damaged the front shroud on my BN6 beyond reasonable repair. I have found a decent BJ8 shroud. My question to the forum is, what if any differences are there in interchanging the two shrouds? I realize that the parking/turn signal light openings are different, but I can live with that, I think. However, the windshield area and windshield post attachment might be different as well as the shroud extension for the dash. Hopefully there would be little to no difference, but I suspect that I might have to compromise and use part of my shroud with the BJ8 shroud. My damaged shroud is okay from probably one half of the bonnet opening to the rear where the shroud attaches to the dash. Any help is appreciated.
Depending upon which BJ8 shroud you have the size of the park & turn signal lights are larger on the BJ8 and as said, the windshield area too is different. Try to find an early shroud. They’re around.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Too bad it isn't the rear shroud you needed. I have a perfect rear shroud hanging in the shop. My old front shroud is good on the rear half also but the front is toast. I also have the German delivered BJ7 as Vette but they are the small sized lights like the early BJ8's but also has the same windshield problem you are facing as it is different than the roadster version.
Jim

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
thanks for the responses. i was able to source a correct shroud in what appears to be good condition from a forum member.