• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Something that makes me happy.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Taking a cue from JP's recent post on the guy with the rose engine, I figured I'd post about my newest watch acquisition. For a couple of years now I've been looking for a Hamilton Piping Rock to add to the stable and finally I found one that was both in good shape and didn't break the bank. The Piping Rock sports a 979f 19 jewel adjusted movement in a 14k white gold case. This was pretty much the finest wrist watch you could buy when it was new. This example is from 1929 and for you baseball fans out there this is the watch model that was presented to the 28 Yankees for winning the World Series instead of rings.
20200206_065456.jpg20200206_065419.jpg20200206_065436.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Those were wonderful days - individual craftsmen taking pains to design, engineer, produce, and carefully assemble - producing something of value, and of use.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Those were wonderful days - individual craftsmen taking pains to design, engineer, produce, and carefully assemble - producing something of value, and of use.

Not 100% sure they actually were that wonderful - but certainly some wonderful products. But I digress.

Gorgeous watch! Walter, I have a dozen or so watches but none are of any particular value except sentimental. I think the oldest is my father's CYMA railroad 24 hour watch - (he really was with the railroad) even there I did some research and it seems like when he got it it wasn't the company it had been. I am always a little nervous looking at old watches like that, partly because I don't know where/what to buy and how much to pay but mostly because I already have too many wallet draining pursuits.

Out of curiousity was the watch an online purchase or a local purchase or ???

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I don't really know anything about watches Walt but that one has an understated elegance about it.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Nice, Walt!

I've been fascinated with mechanical timepieces from an early age, chronographs especially. But that Hamilton is true elegance from the period. One of my pals is a watchmaker, Omega Certified. He's gone through my Seamaster and Waltham chrono's. I have to show him your addition, he'll appreciate it!

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Cyma was one of those companies that made a solid product at one time and as consolidation of the market began, it went downhill.
I own my great grandad's Illinois pocket watch from when he was working on the railroad. It needs a new balance before I can get it back into running shape. I rather like rail road watches and own several.
I bought it on Ebay, you never see something like this in my neck of the woods.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
This is my great grandfather's pocket watch, and it still keeps pretty good time. I had it professionally cleaned and such years ago. I wind it every year or 2 just to be sure. Please excuse the dust in the background.

Attachments

• WatchOpen.jpg
    WatchOpen.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 30
  • WatchClosed.jpg
    WatchClosed.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 26
OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
For some reason I can't open your attachment.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I don't know what the problem might be but it works for me. Maybe Basil will come by and offer some advice.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Now they are there.

Nice watch and a great heirloom!

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Nice watch, I took a shallow dive into the vintage watch world a couple years back. The number of manufacturers and styles is simply amazing, as I understand it though, many were putting their own names and dial and or case on some other company's mechanicals or movements (though smaller, still a huge variety of movements as well). Also an interesting example of an industry that was rapidly nearly wiped out by technology.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks, yeah there were a ton of companies out there at one time and consolidation, lower production costs over seas, and the quartz revolution very nearly did the industry in. Hamilton was one of those companies back in the day that produced movements for not only their own watches but also for private labels and other smaller companies. The Ball 999 railroad watch is a good example of this practice. It is still fairly common practice for companies to source movements from another company and case them themselves. Today there are really only a handful of companies that still produce mechanical movements and they will sell them to other smaller companies.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Not sure how to answer that Basil but I did Reply->Go Advanced->Manage Attachments then uploaded the two. That's what I have always done, the only way I know how to add photos. Anyway, glad to hear it finally worked for you Walt.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Not sure how to answer that Basil but I did Reply->Go Advanced->Manage Attachments then uploaded the two. That's what I have always done, the only way I know how to add photos. Anyway, glad to hear it finally worked for you Walt.

Use the "Insert Image" instead.

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 3.41.12 PM.png

THEN!!! When the image uploads it will be a thumbnail. Double click the thumbnail and, on the image settings popup window, select "Center Large" for the image size to make it a large image.

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 3.43.32 PM.jpg

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Basil. Now if I can just remember that.Ferrari Shooting Brake.jpg
It looks like the upload worked but I could never get the "image settings" form. Where or when should I do the double click to get the image settings?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Right after you upload the image, you will see a thumbnail. Double click your mouse on the thumbnail BEFORE YOU SAVE THE POST. You should get a pop up window for the settings. If not, you may have pop ups disabled in your browser.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks. Will try again.