• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General MG Field find restoration question ...

FastasMG

Freshman Member
Hey all, new to the MG stuff but not new to cars or restorations. I went and visited a guy selling off a bunch of stuff that is in a field and he had two MG motors out there. One was complete, (see photo), the other is disassembled but only missing the rotating assembly. I'm not sure how long they've been out there but probably a good while.

My question to you guys, I know it'll cost me some money and I'm ok with that, but do you think they're salvageable; block, head, crank, etc? If so I'd like to do one full rebuild/restoration. I've found the sites where almost everything can be purchased new so I know parts are out there. He's asking $150 for both motors, he doesn't have a car they go to. Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200203_161121_compress66.jpg
    20200203_161121_compress66.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 209

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mmm... to put it kindly, keep your money. There are likely MUCH better MG engine projects out there. That looks to be an early Midget engine, and likely one having the need for more machine work and parts replacement than it's worth when done.

If you're looking for a way to get into old British iron, find a whole car to spend your time and money on. MGB's are still out there, some for reasonable money in need of rescue. Just my tuppence worth.

dklawson

Yoda
I will add that in spite of the engine having an MG labeled valve cover, it is a small bore Mini engine. Having been left out in a field with two missing spark plugs in the head, the bores will be ruined. The gearbox (which is the sump) will also have some water in it making it useless. Therefore, unless you find a 1275cc tag on the back of the block (under the carbs but unlikely to be a 1275) I would walk away. If either engine has a 1275 tag I would consider it worth buying it but at a very low price. Steel scrap is selling for $110 / ton.

OP
F

FastasMG

Freshman Member
Dang, well, no harm no foul and nothing lost. Thanks for the info guys; I do have leads on other more intact MG vehicles and motors but wanted to scoop these up if $150 was worth saving them for.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I think Doug nailed it. Mini. Transverse mounted. Gearbox/transaxle, flywheel, clutch and bellhousing look to be M.I.A.

But D. may be correct as well. MG 1100?

No way to tell from the photo, an inspection of the casting would tell. Hardly worth the effort to investigate further, though.