• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Battery relocation ponderings and considerations [and ideas?]....

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am SLOWLY getting closer to the light at the end of the tunnel on the seemingly perpetual metal work on the MGB body, to the point where I can at least spare a little mental bandwidth for contemplating next steps.

This is one of the years that used the dual 6 volt batteries. Wedging even the smallest 12 volt battery into one of the 6 volt wells looks iffy at best (unless I goto a motorcycle battery or larger lawn tractor/mower battery). And I'd like to have the battery in a more protected location where there is room for a protective box and such. Logically speaking the trunk is the next best bet, but that brings up its own questions in terms of mounting, cable routing and venting. I have been informally told that AGM batteries (like the Optima ones) don't need venting, but I can't get any form of definitive yes/no on that.

I'd like to repurpose the existing 6V wells for speaker boxes (since I absolutely HATE when people cut through the trunk bulkhead to install speakers and this body has not been chopped up in any way like that) which makes relocating the battery attractive as well.

So - any of the more well-experienced folks who have done (or decided not to do) this, I'd like some insights and info to know if it can be done properly, and if so how.....

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
My 1970 might be different, but I installed the boxes from Clark and Clark and fit a battery in the passenger side. It’s tight, but I used a common size battery and it fit.
Rut

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A "26" or "26R" battery fits the 6-volt well snugly, but it fits. As for radio speakers, there's room under-dash to fit a couple small speakers without cutting holes in the body. There are some amazing speakers available.

The caveat to my answer is: I'm less interested in listening to a sound system than I am listening to the engine and other audio "clues" coming from the cars. Our MGB is an early car (steel dash) and I fabricated a center console in place of the single speaker under-dash. Concession to sound system is as described above, a "modern" Panasonic AM/FM/CD player with small speakers.

console.jpg

MGBGM1977

Freshman Member
Country flag
Here is where I put mine. AGM battery out of my 1984 Goldwing.
BM Part #: YTX24HL-BS
Voltage: 12 Volt
Capacity: 21 Ah
Type: AGM
Length: 8.13"
Width: 3.44"
Height: 6.38"
Cold Cranking Amps: 350 CCA
Shipping Weight: 18.00Lbs

Attachments

• P4221530aa.JPG
    P4221530aa.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 239
OP
Y

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Here is where I put mine. AGM battery out of my 1984 Goldwing.
BM Part #: YTX24HL-BS
Voltage: 12 Volt
Capacity: 21 Ah
Type: AGM
Length: 8.13"
Width: 3.44"
Height: 6.38"
Cold Cranking Amps: 350 CCA
Shipping Weight: 18.00Lbs

Now thats an idea I have NOT seen before....I presume since its only 18 pounds it doesn't adversely impact that balance of the car being all the way up at the bumper. Have you experienced any downsides to using a battery with that low of an AH rating? The 350CCA will be more than enough to spin the motor but if it doesn't fire up immediately is there enough for several tries?

MGBGM1977

Freshman Member
Country flag
I have seen where many use the Miata battery. Many of those are rated the same or slightly higher. As my car starts very well, I have not had any problems at all so far. Had it in there about a year now.

Bob Branson

Country flag
As for the trunk location, big Healeys had that, and many years ago I lost my 100-6 when the side curtains shorted across the terminals and caused a fire...right over the fuel tank.