• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Starting from scratch what color

Jayplum

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Have my 57 TR3 torn down. Getting ready to get into engine.
seeing light green paint on some parts, oil sump, front plate, etc.
any suggestions on getting back to OE? Is there a site addressing this?
Car is signal red; will repaint engine compartment in same.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Best way to find out the original color is o order a build certificate from British Heritage. I did that on my second round on my 1960 TR3A. Bought it from the original family in 1976 in primer and they said it was off white. Didn't do a lot of research back then and the cars weren't worth much then so I had it painted Layland White. After driving it for almost 30 years took it's tole on the finish and original rust was starting to come through. Plus the fact the cars were significantly increasing in value, it was time to redo it correctly.

Anyway my point is going to be that I did just that and found out it was Sebering White. Not a color that can be duplicated with modern paints. Many paint codes out there but none of the paint companies could come up with a formula. I waited too long to find all that out and delayed my project. Got lucky after Googling and after months of reading Google pages (I thing I was on page 300 +) I found a discussion on a defunct forum where two guys were discussing the color. Not an actual formula but I was able to get a great match from that search. Good luck!

OP
Jayplum

Jayplum

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Yeah, folks don't know how hard white is to match and the number of variations there are. My TR6 was painted by PO and the closest I could come was Chrysler's artic white. I painted the engine compartment with a factory pack based on Triumph's chart and it was very different. Had to paint the upper cowl and underside of bonnet just to minimize any difference.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Two white TR3s. The colour difference is slight but was discernible. Mine the closer one has a more yellow tone to the white. It was taken from the GM code for Dover White.

David
TR3s at Columbus show.jpg

OP
Jayplum

Jayplum

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The white on my 6 was so far off, standing by the door and looking at the engine compartment it was very obvious difference with under the side. Almost takes the touch and feel of the old time painters; knew this father and son pair who painted so many gas doors or let down panels even on newer cars just to get a match. But I could trust them completely to get a great job.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, modern paints really do look different than the old stuff, so if you really want it to look original a lot of work is involved. A single stage will get you closer to an original look, but basecoat/clearcoat is sort of the expectation for gloss and depth of shine these days. Get the original Triumph TR book by Piggot for more information on what color various things were painted. https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...jEm9IjblCzIdfcjf-M0mqZQymog,cdl:1,prmr:1,cs:1

OP
Jayplum

Jayplum

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
My car has 2 stage on her but I believe a good buffing and a couple chip repairs is all I am doing on the exterior.
engine bay will be single stage.

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
My car has 2 stage on her but I believe a good buffing and a couple chip repairs is all I am doing on the exterior.
engine bay will be single stage.

So this with the original post questions is a bit confusing (to me). Are you asking what color to paint the car, the engine components, the engine compartment?

OP
Jayplum

Jayplum

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
All undersides and the nooks and crannies show the same what I think is Signal Red. Exterior is clear coated. She was professionally repainted a couple years ago by PO.

OP
Jayplum

Jayplum

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Yes. Tried to up load earlier. But obviously not successful.

Attachments

• 5E9B581F-0116-4433-B36E-1492C0416F1F.jpg
    5E9B581F-0116-4433-B36E-1492C0416F1F.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 104
  • C0B7A97A-9F0C-420D-A946-C04E95F47DC4.jpg
    C0B7A97A-9F0C-420D-A946-C04E95F47DC4.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 106
  • B36BCA80-3230-4677-8536-37497FB5368E.jpg
    B36BCA80-3230-4677-8536-37497FB5368E.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 96
OP
Jayplum

Jayplum

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Originally asked about engine components, ie front plate, timing cover, sump, oil filter canister, etc.
I got off topic talking paint. I am painting the engine bay I body color.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Front plate was black, timing cover black with a grey noise deadener, sump black, oil filter a sort of aqua blue/green, oil filter head natural, water pump black, pulley and extension black, valve cover likely chrome on your year...black for earlier cars, fuel pump natural, dizzy natural with a black pedastal.

I think that covers most of it. The black was a semi-glosss by today's standards.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Thermostat housing natural. Engine block was black I think. Have seen a few photos of blocks with what was said to be the factory original vehicle designation in red pant done by hand.

David