• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Great to be here.

Romuluy

Freshman Member
Country flag
Good day everyone.. My wife and I were sold this 1955 TR3 from our 93 year old neighbor. He told us that if he sells it to us that he wanted to see it finished before he dies. He had owned it for the last 45 years, but his health is not very good anymore, and he just didn't have the strength or desire to complete it. The motor and transmission have been rebuilt. New brakes, and exhaust. Right now I am getting the body put back together so that I can start the minimal body work, and then get it ready for paint.

I sent to get information on the car from the British Motor Museum, and the information was that it was built Dec. 19, 1955 and sent to a dealership in Hawaii. When my neighbor got it, it was red with a white racing stripe offset , and had racing badges painted on the trunk lid. My neighbor thought that it may have returned to England to be raced, but there's no way to know that for sure I think. How it ended up here in the states is the question of the day I guess.

My goal is to have this on the road by late summer of this year, so that my neighbor can get a ride in it, and enjoy the wind in his hair like he wanted to do with his late wife many years ago before she passed.
I have built and repaired a number of American cars and trucks, so the only thing I am concerned with is the positive ground stuff on these cars... Forgot to mention the comm. # TS9569

Thanks for having me in the group.

Last edited:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Welcome to the asylum, Romuluy!
Positive ground is easy, just quit worrying about it and think of the system as just "hot" and "ground". The only time you need worry about positive and negative is when adding aftermarket (solid state) products, like a phone outlet or stereo. The rest of the time it takes care of itself.

That said, if you do plan to add anything solid state (like a stereo), my suggestion is to convert to negative ground up front. The vast majority of devices designed in the last 50 years or so (like alternators) are going to assume negative ground; and installing them in a positive ground car leads to headaches and worse. A friend of mine burned up the entire wiring harness in his MGA, while running down the road on a road trip, from installing a CB radio and overlooking a grounding issue. The conversion on a stock TR3 is easy and painless, just switch a few connections around (battery, coil and ammeter) then repolarize the generator.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
BTW .. My pics are too large to post them I guess. Sorry I'll see if I can post them another way.
What works for me is to upload them onto a photo sharing site (I use Imgur) and then post a link here. Bit of a learning curve, you have to create an account with them and so on, but easy once you know how.

hRLK5fe.jpg

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Rumuluy

Welcome to the forum.

The Triumph section is very active so you are sure to get plenty of help and advice for your project. I hope that when I get to that age I have a neighbor like you.

I am using InfanView a free program that you can use to resize the photos.

David

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
If you have the Paint program in Windows, open the picture with Paint and resize it smaller and save it as a JPG file, usually I save them on the desktop and move them later to wherever. PJ

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
BTW .. My pics are too large to post them I guess. Sorry I'll see if I can post them another way.

Just make copies of your pictures and re-size them. File size just needs to be 3MB or less (it's a server limitation). Make a copy, open it in your favorite iamge program and "resister" to about 800 pixels wide and you should be ok.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
What works for me is to upload them onto a photo sharing site (I use Imgur) and then post a link here. Bit of a learning curve, you have to create an account with them and so on, but easy once you know how.

hRLK5fe.jpg

That works, but if Imgur ever decides to stop allowing hotlinking (like Photobucket did) thise images will disappear from here. If you want to ensure the image stays here forever, you can re-size (just has to be less than 3MB) and upload here.