• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Longbridge BN4 top frame question

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Assembly of the BN4 is coming along well, with a list of odds and ends left to do. Installing a new folding top is on that list.

I have a Longbridge top frame that appears more or less complete, except that it is missing the L shaped piece that is attached to one of the main top bows and extends below the left side pivot point and fits into the rubber block when the top is erected. I have the rubber block and the metal piece that the rubber block fits into. But the piece that fits into it is missing. I hope that explanation is clear enough; Longbridge owners likely will know what I'm talking about.

Does anyone out there have a Longbridge top with the missing piece still intact? If so, a few pictures - ideally with measurements of the piece would help immensely. Knowing the correct dimensions should make it possible to fabricate and weld the missing piece into place.

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I think I might have a complete top frame in the basement storage area? would you be interested in using that?:driving:

OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks, healey106. But mine seems in good condition as far as rust free and straight condition goes. If I find other issues, I may want to talk to you about buying yours. As far as I know, mine is just missing the little dog leg extension at the drivers side pivot point. Close up pictures and/or measurements would save guesswork in remedying this.

OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I found this image on line, of the "frame hook." In addition to needing dimensions, can someone tell me how this fastens to the top frame? Is it welded in place to the frame piece? I thought it was, but after seeing this image, I'm not so sure.

BCS327NN.jpg

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It is welded. I would take and post a photo of mine for you, but I installed the top, folded it up behind the seat and attached my hardtop. It has remained there ever since. It's easier to remove and install the hardtop than it is to put the Longbridge top up & down.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
It is welded. I would take and post a photo of mine for you, but I installed the top, folded it up behind the seat and attached my hardtop. It has remained there ever since. It's easier to remove and install the hardtop than it is to put the Longbridge top up & down.
Very true statement. I would have chimed in too but I am in the same position as John.

OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Since I was not able to obtain measurements for the missing J hook, I went ahead with a "best guess" method. Getting the multiple angles right proved the most difficult part of the process. The result works well and clips into the rubber block mounted on the driver's side below the slide channel as it should. It also took guesswork to install the rubber block, since that part of the structure consisted of new metal without the factory holes. I did have an old rusty cut out piece to get clues on. So, all I can say is that the dimensions of the J hook likely are close to the original piece. It is also becoming obvious why Healey designers switched to the simpler top design when production moved to Abingdon in late '57.

Also, while the rest of the top frame was rust free and solid, test fitting it in the car revealed various issues. The various joints had seized from decades of storage and required lubrication and encouragement. Judicious bending and reshaping, using oxy-acetylene heat, also was required to have the two sides mirror each other and to form the desired profile. After sanding and painting, it will be on to installing the web straps and the new top.

Posting pictures of the parts prior to final cleaning and painting, with dimensions; maybe this will help someone in the future.

Attachments

• J hook 1.jpg
    J hook 1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 136
  • J hook 2.jpg
    J hook 2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 129
  • J hook 3.jpg
    J hook 3.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 126