• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Said Goodbye...

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sold the '73 B; guy just flew in from central Florida and picked it up. He'll be leaving in the morning to drive home. Nice guy; hopefully we'll stay in touch.

Down to the Jag and the Victor TF - enough to keep me busy. But I'll miss the B's...

Got more room in the garage now!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Congrats on the sale, but it's always bittersweet to see years of memories heading away. Wasn't that supposed to be Janet's car?

Would be useful to know how you sold it: forums, clubs, craigslist, ebay, BaT, etc.

Tom M.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yes, I restored it for Janet. But she didn't drive it much - got away from driving manual transmission cars, and didn't like dealing with starting on hills around here. That's why we got the XK8. I decided that four toy cars were more work for me than fun, so the two Bs had to go.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OH - sold it on Bring a Trailer.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
The "comment" from Steinway is hysterical. You should print and frame it for the shop.

"Everyone knows the manual Overdrive in the MGB is initially engaged by ELECTRO-CHEMICAL gradients within the nervous system. Its been well established for decades that there is not a single element which completes an OD gear selection journey through the various nerves, wires, relays, fuses and hydraulics. The OD gear change ALWAYS BEGINS as a wave of depolarization that spreads through the automotive enthusiasts brain beginning with the neuron."

etc etc

Anyway, congratulations on the sale.
Tom M.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yeah, that guy was all over the map.

Interesting observation I've made on BaT auctions. If you follow one, you get to see all the comments. Then if you click on the commenter's name, you can see his/her history. MOST of the folks who comment have NEVER made a bid or sold anything! Nothing better to do, I suppose, than make comments - many of which are negative and/or not helpful.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I've played with BaT for about ten years. Find an interesting car, follow the comments. Sometimes there are a dozen comments within five minutes of the start of an auction - and as you say, the people making comments sometimes seem to exist only to make comments. They've made comments for years - but have never bid on anything. But they do enjoy correcting and arguing with each other.

Wonder what those guys did before they got internet. One of my favorite comments: "Would love to have that car, but wife won't let me bid."

yeah right.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Congrats on the sale, but sad indeed for you to be B-less. Ah well, things change and you do have a nice group of cars otherwise.

More room in the garage is always fun. Allows you to dream of the next thing to fill the space. :smile:

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Richard, sorry to hear the time had come for you to get rid of the B, but I do understand. It hurt to get rid of the '37 TA, but like you it was time.
Now,
Welcome to the dark side. The XK8 will drive you nuts on some things. Just did the full pump and plastic man might have been able to touch the fuel lines where they come out of the tank.
Hope you will still hang around and help folks.
Wayne

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Wayne. Not going anywhere!

Seeing Kelly Stevenson and his gorgeous XK8 coupe made a huge impression on me. And as I mentioned, the B wasn't being driven like it should be, and I hated to see it just sit in the garage.

So far the only things I have to address on the XK are the transmission fluid change and replacing the upper shock mounts. Should get to both of those tasks in the next week or so.

Mickey

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Congrats on the sale, but sad indeed for you to be B-less. Ah well, things change and you do have a nice group of cars otherwise.

More room in the garage is always fun. Allows you to dream of the next thing to fill the space. :smile:

Thanks, Drew. Only thing filling the space will be me. Oh, and maybe a beer or three.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Did it take up residency anyplace near me, Bro?

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Not too far - The Villages.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The Village? - the one with Mini Mokes?

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Mickey,
I know it is sometimes sad to see a car go, it is better that they get used . British cars do poorly when they sit. That being said, I hope the Victor is getting some miles put on it. If it ever needs a new home, as the "finder" of the car, I get first crack at it:encouragement:. As long as you have it, you will not be without a B. I just need to get my Bs put back together.
Bruce

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Bruce. Not to worry - the Victor will see plenty of use. Drove it a couple days ago, in fact. It is truly a blast! And no intentions of letting it go anytime soon. :nonod: